CARP?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by LiveWire, May 26, 2009.

1. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Ok, I'm sure if I searched long and hard enough, I would find the info I need, but I just dont have much time to browse. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it! I've noticed some pretty good size carp swimmin' around the waters where I'm at here lately, and I think I'd like to tackle a few of em'. The thing is, I dont know the first thing about how to catch them with a rod & reel. What kind of rig should I go with? What kind of bait? What type of hooks? I read something about a hair rig in another post, but I still cant figure out quite what that is. Can someone help me out? THANKS in advance!

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would recommend the hair rig, but you do not have to. Try small hooks, like size 6 and a few kernals of sweet corn on the hook. I use line around 8-12lbs unless I fish areas with tons of snags. I will look up my thread on fishing topwater with bread and post a link to it for you, if they are on the surface it should work. I would really try to learn the hair rig and use a 3oz weight if you are bottom fishing.

Many things come into play though. Clear water? Any idea what they are already eating? Were the feeding (bubbles, silt cloud, etc.)? Where they on topwater? Does the water have snags? How big do they appear?

Throw out some sweetcorn or bread and see if they eat it, if you get them feeding it becomes easier to catch them.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    snagging with a very large treble hook, or throw a cast net on them. I got a couple a few weeks ago with a net that were up on the shallow flats.{ wasnt trying to catch carp} i was out for some blue gills or shad, thought i hung a stump. they will mess up a net. anyway thats how i got mine

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80894

This is the thread about topwater.

As far as snagging goes, that is not quite as sporting as actually getting them to take the bait, but that is my opinion. I feel real success when I outwit the larger carp, avoiding the small ones, and reel him in and release to catch another day.

5. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Most of the time when I see them, they are in pretty shallow water. Anywhere from around 3 to 5 ft. They dont seem to be swimming right at the surface, but only about a foot or so under it. What kind of hooks? Baitholders? Khale? Circles? etc... The water is fairly clear in most of the areas I've seen them from the bank. I want to learn more about this hair rig you keep mentioning, what exactly is it?

6. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If they are right under the surface you may be able to coax the up with some bread floating. If you can see bottom I would try and get them feeding on corn on the bottom and get your hook bait down to them.

The hair rig works with the carps natural motion of feeding, with is sucking in the bait, silt, etc. then blowing out what they do not want. The bait, for example, corn would be fixed to the "hair" that comes off the shank of the hook. The carp sucks this in, tries to spit it, they eject the bait on the hair but the hook pricks the bottom lip, spooking them. As they dart off the weight drives the point a little deeper and you can just raise the rod and begin what should be an awesome fight. I will try to find a good hair rig thread or link and give it to you. I stay away from baitholders, just because I have no real need for them, I rarely ever used Kahle hooks, and almost never circles.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey brad, i catch um for bait, not sport. if i want to sport fish carp, I'll use bow and arrow rig. even then its not to eat, but bait.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WELL IF YOU MUUUUST FISH FOR CARP THEN HERES A SIMPLE EASY LIGHT TACKLE SETUP!!!

#1 EAGLECLAW BAITKEEPER SNELL W/ SWIVEL
    1-2 OZ BELLSINKER
    SEWING THREAD AND BREAD

SETUP THE RIG LIKE NORMALLY

MAKE A SMALL BALL OF BREAD - DIME SIZE!!

TAKE THE SEWING THREAD AND MAKE A COUPLE SMALL KNOTS (AROUND THE BREAD )

Attached Files:

9. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To each his own, but I just thought the original poster was looking to catch them on rod and reel for sport, so that is what I posted on. I never catch to eat them, I only catch to release.

10. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sleekcraft, you do that yourself? Innovative and creative. Like the way you are thinking. Keep us updated on your catches.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IF YOU WANT TO GO ALL OUT " LIKE SEING THAT 4 FTER "

USE THE ACTUAL HAIR RIG :smile2:

FOR A TANISH BOTTOM I USE THE 35 LB GORILLA TOUGH LINE !!!!!

8 WRAPS OVER THE " BEEFY " #12 HOOK AND THE LITTLE LOOP:big_smile:

HOPE I HELPED OUT A LITTLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeRoy

Attached Files:

12. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    This setup looks easy enough! THANKS!

13. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey cuz, i didnt realize folks were catching them on rods, i pretty much thought of them as trash fish. most people down here hunt them with bows, gar also.To each his own, I know they fight pretty good, on an arrow line anyway.

14. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    So the pic included with this one is an actual "hair rig", right?

15. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Yea, folks catch em on rods, apparently not many folks, but a few do. I actually caught one by accident while bass fishing a creek with a yellow crankbait!

16. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The sport fishing aspect of carping is growing fast now, with many shops in the US opening dedicated to carp. A lake in Texas has set limits on what size carp can be harvested even. Rod and reel for carp is an excellent thrill, with tons of fight and one of the best ways to get a kid hooked on fishing. Enjoy whatever method you choose though. But I would say try them on rod and reel, better than any bass as far as fight, and more blazing runs that a catfish. Just not the best eating.

17. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey i aint afraid to break out a rod on um, just never thought of it. I'll give it a shot on a rod next time i Need some bluecat bait.:wink:

18. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Best of luck, maybe you will get a nice bluecat. No problem with using them or bait, just irks me if they are tossed on the bank. I know in Europe they will use whole 1 to 3lb carp for the Wells (sp?) catfish, and those things are monsters.

19. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    So carp make good cat bait huh? Hmmm, even more reason for me to go after them! :big_smile:

20. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

IM KINDA GETTING INTO THE OLD. "LIGHT TACKLE" THING AGAIN..... WENT FISHING LAST NIGHT AND CAUGHT A BUNCH OF BAIT FOR MY FLAT SETUP BUT ONLY GOT A SLOW RUN:confused2:

THREW OUT MY PREMO SUPERSTICKY ON ;

A PIECE OF $ 1.75 SPONGE.
    1 2/0 EAGLE CLAW SNELL
    1 OZ NOROLL
    AND CAUGHT A 3 LB CHANELL WITHIN 20 MIN:crazy:

ALL THE TALK ABOUT "DONT BUY STORE BOUGHT COMBOS,THESE HOOKS THOSE HOOKS, THIS LINE THAT LINE, " CAN REALLY RUIN FISHING FOR SOME PEOPLE.......

SOME MAKE IT SOUND LIKE IF YOU DONT SPEND $120 ON A REEL AND ANOTHER $100 ON A ROD YOULL NEVER CATCH BIG FISH.....

IM PITCHING THE 50 LB BRIAD "I THINK" AND BUYING ANOTHER $20 SPINNER FROM WALMART, MAKE MY OWN DRAG DISCS , AND IM GONA FISH "MY WAY"

IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYTIME I LISTEN TO A MAJORITYS' OPINION I HAVE A CRAPPY NIGHT OF FISHING !!!!!!:smile2:

HAVENT HAD ANY EQUIPMENT FAIL "ONLY NEW ZEBCO STUFF " :sad2:
    AND I EVEN BET THAT THOUSE GUYS THAT USE 200 LB BRAID AND $500 SETUPS HAVE FAILURES ON A REGULAR BASIS AS WELL

SRRY FOR GETTING OFF COURSE BUT SOME THINGS STICK WITH ME....:cool2:

LeRoy:smile2: