Carp without scales? ID request.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by rich-online, May 16, 2008.

1. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'd like some help in identifying a fish. Unfortunately, I don't know how to attach pictures. I believe I caught a carp; it was about 2 feet long, and it had about the same shape as a channel cat, but the mouth was proportionally much smaller, and it was turned down. The front fins folded flat against the body. Also, the fish had no scales and, so far as I could tell, no whiskers. Near the gills, there were markings on the skin that looked like the outline of scales.

At any rate, I'd appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

-- Rich

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    don't really have a clue without seeing it. might not know then, but a few years ago around here a guy caught a fish that no one knew what it was. turned out it was some kind of chinese fish that apparently was let loose when someone emptied their minnow bucket. this type of minnow wasn't legal to sell but i guess a mistake was made. this fish was ugly and scaleless. oh yeah, it weighed 78lbs. if i remember correctly.

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    maybe bighead carp? i don't know though. they look like they don't have scales. never caught one.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    with out seeing a picture dont know but i have caught carp with out scales before but they where all about 10-12inches long

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive seen a few carp without scales.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If it is a Carp it would be a Leather Carp. Do a search and tell us the results. If it isn't a Leather Carp then there must be a huge Flathead that scaled it just before you caught it what ever it is. lol:crazy::eek:oooh::wink:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ?????????????????/:wink:

maybe

8. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California

Thanks for the tip. While the color was darker than the one in the picture I found, http://www.carpcatchers.biz/carpcatchersblog/?p=160, the fish I caught looks quite similar.

As a side note, that was the hardest I'd had to fight to bring a fish in; it took me 45 minutes with my trout gear.

-- Rich

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. leather aint the only ones. mirror like your pic are scaleless too. i had a few koi in my pond that had very few in some cases a small patch of oversized scales on them.

10. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If it had 1 scale it is a mirror, it is only a leather if it is void of all scales. There a has never been a true american leather caught as far as I have heard. Scales near the tail make it a leather. Also, the mirror and leather are all common carp, just recessive genes cause the variation.

11. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    definitely not a mirror carp. I catch those all the time out here (my 4 year old son just caught his first one today). They're really funny looking because they have scales intermittently spread across thier body. No two fish have the same scale pattern. They fight a lot like a catfish too. Maybe a bit more jerky. Strong as an ox each one.

12. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    It sounds like adogfish or a grinnel to me.We call themboth names here in Missouri.I'm probably wrong on this,but it sure sounds right from the description.Just thought I'd take a guess.

13. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    could be asian carp.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yes. I have caught Mirror Carp in the lake I fish alot. The first one I ever caught was the strangest looking carp I've ever seen. It had only approx. 7 to 10 very large scales on each side of it's body. After doing a comparison of the Carp to a picture in a fish identification book, I was able to determine what type of carp it was. Pretty cool looking fish of the carp species.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    The scales of a bighead carp are small and resemble the scales of a trout. This species is very similar to another exotic Asian carp found in the United states. so i dought its asain bidhead. they have scales.

16. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    so there's mirror carp in the states?! I had no idea. All I've ever caught in the states is common carp. All of those in the 10-35lb range.

I would love to be able to catch mirror carp back home. A 5lb mirror carp fights like a 10lb channel cat. They just move a little faster. They get really big bellys too.

Out here we have nose carp (looks like a common carp, but the scales are silver), tench (smaller fish, tiny scales that are greenish. absolutely gorgoues fish. not a carp, but acts just like one), and mirror carp. Niether tench or nose carp fight anywhere near as hard as a mirror carp.

If anyone doesn't know what a mirror carp looks like, I've posted some photos on this thread.http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80599

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i like the mirror carp with just a few scales because i don't have to scale much when i make bait out of them. their skin seems tougher too, creating a better hold for the hook.