Carp Weekend Lake View.

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lilrivercatman, Aug 1, 2007.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Is anyone going to Lake View (Black hawk lake) For carp weekend the week after this? 1000$ if you catch a tagged one. Anyone going? Any hints/Tips/tricks to catching carp on Black Hawk Lake (Lake View Iowa)?

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    My son won $100.00 (I think) for biggest carp one year and he used my secret carp bait. We caught several carp while people right close by were catching nothing. Kid was like 9 years old and people were yelling at me to take the pole from him and I polietly told them it was his pole, his fish, his problem. They didn't know that he had been fishing since he was three and was a good fisherboy already. I went back to the camp and acted like I was cleaning up the area but I kept an eye on him. He landed it like a pro and as stated above, his problem so the only problem he had after that was how to spend his Lake View Dollars. He had a $100.00 shopping spree to buy any thing he wanted. If your interested PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you, alas, the secret is out. lol

3. lilrivercatman

State:
    Iowa
    PM sent!! :D Wish me luck guys. Did you chum before beecheck? Is chumming even legal in iowa?

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Recipe sent, use a treble hook with a spring down the shank to hold the bait on better. This stuff will stay on for a long time in a river.

Chumming, hmmmm, I used to fish with a guy that drank a lot and he would chum occasionally right over the side of the boat. I don't think it helped the fishing but right after he would always say he felt better, hand me a beer, can I drive the boat?
    OK, enough of that, they sell chum in Wal-Marts in Iowa so I would guess it is legal and no we didn't chum before we fished. Just luck I guess.

5. lilrivercatman

State:
    Iowa
    Ok thanks for all the info! (Ignore that last email I sent you) Ill report back to you, but the contest doesnt start till next weekend.

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Beeheck you slay me!!! Well now here is my secret carpbait. Alfalfa put thru wifes blinder while she is shopping when ya got a couple of cup fulls add in 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup of borax, and couple tablespoons of anise, sprinkle with garlic powder, add enough liquid to make a firm ball. While balls still wet stick on trebles with springs and let dry!!! Then package and head to anywhere there is carp and be prepared!!!

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Now that sounds interesting. We use a commercial catfish food at the lake and the carp love it also. Your idea of the blender and "additives" might just make a carp bait that would work. I think I'll get a blender a garage sale rather than risk another "Bobbit" nightmare in Iowa if my wife were to find out I used her blender. lol, I think. Thanks for the idea! errr, the idea is the blender not the "Bobbit" thing, no pun intended.

8. lilrivercatman

State:
    Iowa
    Made the batch up today! Should last until saturday in an airtight container in the fridge right?

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Once she drys on ya hooks then seal up will last forever!!!:big_smile: Give us a report I might start making this in beehecks basement and sell it at walmart!!

10. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Not in the basement, the garage. I have strict rules I have to adhere to, not my rules but still strict and adhered to, so I get fed.

11. lilrivercatman

State:
    Iowa
    Well heres the report, tried the bait a couple of times with no luck, no luck on anyother baits either. The total fish count for about 6 hours of fishing 1! 1 stinking carp! It was terrible this week, we olny fished in the morning though but no luck...

12. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well dont feel lone stranger !!! We fished with about 15 different kinds of bait for the whiskers and only got 1 the heat is bad bad!!! Dont give up on that bait!!:big_smile:

13. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    So, it sounds like you guys did about average for this year. I truly think I'm done for a while, high water, hot temps, rain, no rain, fronts going through every 10 minutes, whiny a$$ brother in law, windy as all get out, no wind, bugs by the thousands, not to mention the fishing sucks, bait is expensive and my boat leaks. OK, the boat doesn't leak but maybe, just maybe, the catfish population needs a chance the rebound from the mass quantities of their brothern we've been removing in previous years. :eek:oooh:

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now is the time to do battle!!!!:big_smile: Never Give Up!!:tounge_out:

15. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I wouldn't use what they sell at wal-mart as an excuse for legality. i know the wal-mart here in Council Bluffs sells several different walleye and sabiki rigs which would technically be illegal for use in Iowa since they have more then 2 hooks.

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I agree, I guess I was just saying it's out there on the shelf but I have read the rules and regulations and it is legal to chum in Iowa the way I read it. Of course they can't just write it that simple. heck, look what they did to deer tags this year, it took me an hour to get 3 deer tags this morning. Poor guy behind the counter was ready to cry before it was over. Felt sorry for him, so many questions, so many buttons, so little time.

17. lilrivercatman

State:
    Iowa
    And then when you shoot one you gotta talk to that stupid machine for 20 mins.

18. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Yep, there's always that machine and on line is no better. I don't know why they don't give you a postage paid card with each license you buy with about 10 boxes to check, do it and stick it in the mail. Simple, quick and you would be much more likely to do it than try 3 times with the machine, scream at the computer, kick the dog and then not report it.