Carp TStatus Question

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by HOPPY4, Oct 31, 2007.

1. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I just read this on another forum and thought it might be a Topic of discussion for this board! I Hope that more state Game and Fish Management Agancies will adopt this view of Carp and Carp Fishing! The question is: Should the Carp status be Raised to Game Fish rather than Trash Fish? Yes or No?
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_t3200_1429.pdf

HOPPY4

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The numbers of Carp Anglers are growing Hoppy. Not sure if its just enough but steadily growing. I think if more people hook onto one "even if by accident" the more people will convert.

3. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    If the carp shared the protection of game fish classification, imagine how big we could grow them here! I bet there would be a big market for carp gear, too.

Those new regs might not please the folks who bow fish for carp too much.

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, they bowfish for cats as well, but in TN only 1 over 34 in can be harvested a day. If they just made it were only 1 carp over a certain length could be harvested it would increase population. The one weakness I see in the carp are a nuisance argument is that other species have adapted over 100 years to their presence. They are now well established in the ecosystem so I think that a promotion above trash fish would increase angling oppurtunities. What do you think Ray Scott the founder of B.A.S.S would think of this proposed idea? I have a sneaky suspicion he may support it.

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I dont see a problem with making a carp a game fish, nor do i see a problem making catfish one. I wish Indiana would. If more people ever hooked into a big OL carp, they would see that they are alot of fun to catch. Ive never eaten one, but hear told that if cleaned properly they are really a good eating fish.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i agree that folks could consider carp a gamefish, but what would that leave the bowfishermen to chase? Gar, they would be a much easier canadate for gamefish than the carp, since carp are an intruduced species.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well here in kentucky your not allowed to keep ANY grass carp anywhere its being managed by the fish and wildlife.they have to be returned to the water imedeatly.

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Grass carp are an entirely different story then the common carp. All stocked grass carp are sterile, and are hatched that way from hatcheries and sold to stocking/growout facilities for direct sale to lake/pond owners for weed control without a population explosion. I.E.- someones got money dumped into the grass carp, hence their normal level of protection is a lot of public lakes.

And I agree, the carp should be granted gamefish status. Heck, they fight better then a largemouth does, and grow bigger too.

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I honestly don't see why they weren't a gamefish in the first place. They were brought over from Europe in the 1800s as a gamefish to the US, right?

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think could be wrong they where brung over to feed the hungry /poor. As they grew fast one nice carp could probably feed a family of four for a week... Then as they started multiplying it got kinda got out of hand........ I guess they didn't realize they where so prolific and they could live in any environment.... Or something like that i think i read it on the Boc somewhere...lol...