Carp tackle help!

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by tomcat85, Feb 27, 2007.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Well guys im going to cabelas next month and i want to get some carp specific tackle. Now i know you can use whatever you want for carp, but i want to get some specific stuff b/c i love to buy tackle. I was looking at some eagle claw rods that are 13' long and a king kat reel. Anyone else have any ideas that are reasonably cheap but work well for tackle? Any help would be great thank you!

2. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a king kat reel and I think it's great!

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thanks Aaron that is good to know. I will be picking one of those up.

4. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i have a king cat combo and its nice. what size of carp are you going after? for the bigger ones get a good thick hook so it wont bend.regular catfish line will work. i use big game but might swich to power pro.for bait just experiment for what the fish like.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Idk what size of carp im going for lol. This will be my first spring/summer fishing for them. I guess there are some big ones in the lake i fish from what i hear.

6. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i started out using #20 big game but after my experience:surrender: im going for bigger line LOL. just experiment and figure out what thoses spookish carp want.hope this helps and have fun.:smile2:

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The most important thing you need is a reel with a baitrunner.

you might wanna get som Gamakatsu G-Carp hooks

if you wanna spend alot of money, get a bite alarm and rod pod.

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    can you get a spinning reel w/ a baitrunner at a decent price and what is a baitrunner? lol.

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    a baitrunner is baisicly a spinning reel with a clicker. i would get 2 ammbassaduore(spelling)6000 or 6500.and some 7-8 foot rods and 15-17 pound line.i have 2 6000's on 2 berkley lightning rod and 17 pound trilenext line and size 4 wide bend hooks.these setups will never let u down.

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Is there a cheaper bait runner spinning reel idk how much i can spend.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if i remember correctly Catfish connection had the "Avenger" Okuma Baitrunners starting at $38. they are great reels for an unbeleivable price! i have 2 of them and i think they are way better than the more expensive baitrunners. an ABF-40 would be the smallest i would recomend due to the amount of line difference between a 40 and a 35 model. rather than a Surf style rod, take a look at cabelas "Predator rods" ($59). they are a "domestic" rod that is designed after the European carp fishing rods. i have used them for years for carp and channels and wouldnt trade them for anything.

12. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Is a baitrunner a must have for carp b/c i think im just going to get a regular spinning reel.

13. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

id recommend a baitrunner, or just when waiting for a bite, leave your drag way loose, like the wind blows it and it unspools, i say this because carp make about 30ft blazin runs, thell pull your rod in if your not carful, so keep an eye on it

14. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a 7' ugly stick medium action and the abu listed above with approx 17 lb. line and a 1/4 or 1/2 oz. sinker with a small swivel and hook maybe 1 ought. I tried a lot of different rods and reels on them last summer and this rig worked magnificent. It seemed to have the perfect amount of finesse to keep from ripping the hook out of their mouths and if you need to horse them this rig will definately do that also. The sensitivity of this rod really helps too. It loads them up perfectly. I cant wait to get back at it this summer. In fact I just went to Wal Mart and bought another outfit exactly like the one I listed above for whoever goes fishing with me to use. Good luck and have fun.

15. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I think its fun to use light action rods and reels spooled with 8 or 10 lb test, but the rod I usualy use is an 8 ft. shakespear rod with a tide water shakespear reel that I spool with 20lb test when Im fishing for carp. As far as terminal tackle go's I use size 2 eagle claw baitholder hooks, and a few big split shot.

16. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thanks guys. I still dont know what im going to buy yet lol. But all the info is definately helping me out. I like hearing everyones opinion! thanks again.