Carp rods for bigcats?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by bipolarguy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone use a carp rod for bigcats?. Or do you think it can work?

2. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    I fish with a couple guys that use carp rods for cat fishing they seem to work pretty good but is there really a difference between the 2 , if there is let me know I might switch. Any excuse to buy new gear...

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have some 11' carbon "carp" rods that have caught a bunch of cats. They are great to cast from shore with and I sometimes take them in my john boat on the White River when I want to work a float around trees and such but they are a bit cumbersome when you get the fish boat-side.
    The fish don't care if it's cat rod, carp rod, fly rod or snoopy rod as long as the bait is in the right place.
    Most fish, no matter what the size can be landed on any gear given enough skill, enough line, enough time and a correctly used drag but the longer the fight lasts, the more chance there is of something going wrong...W

4. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I have a carp rod that I use on occasion. The chief advantage of the carp rod, as I see it, is its weight. It is a much lighter rod for the same length as a surf rod, thus allowing you to fish longer without tiring.