Carp rods-any good for catfishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ahab, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ahab

ahab New Member

State:
    texas
    Hi, I am new on this board and wanted to know if some of the rods buit for carp would hold up to catfish as well. It seems that they have the length
    and test curve to throw out 3-4 oz leads , Also they are built to handle large carp in the 20 to 40 lbs range. I am having difficulty in finding good light, smooth casting rods 9 ft in length that will hold lead and a cut/live sunfish to the bottom. Also, I fish from the shore/bank/beach in lakes and reservoirs. I do not fish from a boat.:roll_eyes:

2. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what u have will work if it will handel large carps good luck

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I would prolly add what reel/line, and action of the rod you are using. People here will let ya know better from there...Me , I cant help yet on that, I dont have a cat rod. -Jim-

4. ahab

ahab New Member

State:
    texas
    I have several Ugly Stick Big water rods 7' imo that work just fine but I am still searching for a 9' footer that I think will allow me to reach further out without being excessively cumbersome. I use Ambasseduers 6000 and fish with braided line. I also use circle hooks 6/0-7/0, setup with 2-3 oz lead
    and live sunfish or cut up. I wish to add that I have the American Spirit Nite stick mated with a Penn reel 30lbs Berkeley Big Cat mono. It would probably put the brakes on a catfish (40 lbs) but its not very responsive (more like a club/cue stick). Guess I am fussy. Most rods are commercially designed for the boat- shore fishing is ocean surf rods which are too long and bulky to transport and cast with. I am searching for a compromise
    Sorry for that.:confused2:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hey, dont feel bad I'm rigging up a 6' ugly stick as we speak. Ive been dying to throw a slip float into this little spill way I know of. I really want some eaters but there is a good chance of a big cannel cat being in there....off I go.