carp rigs?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by richmondherperman, Oct 24, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    What rigs do you guys use for carp?

2. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If you can get away with it, just a number 6-8 hook tied to your mainline. Carp are spooky and shy about line weight. If they can feel sinker, they usually will spit it out before you get the chance to set the hook. Theyll usually mouth the bait several times before picking it up and running with it.
    If youre fishing in current, then Id use a slip sinker. Watch setting the hook hard if at all as they have soft rubbery mouths and its very easy to rip a hook right out of their lip.

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    richmondherperman,
    The question then becomes, How technical do you want to get? There are many ways to set up your Carp END Tackle! The simple way will NORMALLY Catch fish that are not weary of the hook or line. Yet as the fish become more accustomed to the fact that they are being caught, then you will require more specialized riggs. The one mentioned before will definitely work as it has been proven many times over. I for one use a Hairrigged #1 or #2 hook with an 8 to 12 inch leader. This is then connected by a swivel to the mainline. The rigg tubing is placed onto the line with the weight attached. The tubing is used to allow the leader to slide back down the line when casting. It is also called detangle tubing by some! The tubing is kept in place by a single lead shoth that will work as the BOLT Effect when the fish starts to run with the bait. This effectively helps to set the hook before the run begins. If you would like to see many more ways to make these riggs, you may PM me for sites with this info.

HOPPY4

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Ol' Faithful...

a 1 inch bobber and a VERY small treble hook with a little doughball...

Forego the bobber when you can. Maybe add a little split shot to the line...

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    a 5ft fly rod with a small brem size wire hook is what i use loaded with corn thay cant resist :wink:

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I use a modified Hair rig, about 1/4 to 1/2 oz of weight. Sometimes sliding, sometimes not. Some days the Bolt setup works better with the fixed weight. Some days just a split shot if they are biting light seems to do better.

I tie both hooks directly onto my main line braid.

You can either set the top hook up for a snell, line through the eye, big loop, then back through the eye again. Then take the tag end, tie second hook to that. Then set the desired distance between the 2 hooks and finish the snell.

Or you can tie the lower hook on first, (Palomar) then make a loop in the line, run the loop through the eye, then the hook through the loop. So it makes like a double half hitch around the eye. This is nice in that its much more adjustable for length. I then finish with a couple of half hitches around the top hook by the bend to make it lay straight along the line. I think you could do the same thing better with a small piece of tubing, with both line and hook shank going through it.

For me the hair rig works, but was a pain to rebait. I am on a tight budget, didn't have money to spend on hair stops, etc. Where the 2 hook rig is quick and easy to rebait and get back fishing. It may not work quite as well as the straight hair rig. But the carp here are fished for by very very few people. So they really don't seem to be very shy.

I use a slightly bigger hook for the bottom, normally a #2.
    Then go to a slightly smaller hook for the top hook. Like a #4 or 6. I make my doughballs big enough that almost all of the lower hook is inside the doughball.

Tried treble once, and loved the great hookups, but hated trying to get the hook out from 2 or 3 sides.

I mostly use a boiled type doughball, with a fair amount of flour in them, 2 min boil. Leaves them tough enough to stay on the hook easily. Yet still soft and squishy enough to be attractive to the carp.

Easiest and best doughball to date for me was a box of frosted shredded wheat. Put it in a strainer, sprayed it with hot water till they were all wet. Added a splash of vanilla & Mollases for flavor. Then started kneeding in 1 cup of flour.

Then rolled and boiled my baits.

Seems both carp and smaller cats like this bait.
    So its a good bait to start off with to see whats down there biting.

Think small batch's on doughballs. I think they "learn" flavors, and once several have been caught they start getting spooky of it. So better to have 3 or 4 flavors available.

I also used a can of kernel corn. I'd put maybe 1/4 cup in a ziplock bag for bait, put the can in the fridge. Then I'd add just a little splash of vanilla to the Bag, seal it up for a day or 2. Then take it fishing.

I'd often put a couple of kernels of corn on the top hook of my rig, doughball on the bottom. Could pretty quickly tell what it was they wanted and adjust accordingly. And yes it does seem to vary widely from day to day.

7. GerardTheFisherman

GerardTheFisherman New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I just use a plain old slip-sinker rig, works just fine!1