carp rig ?????

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 14, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    we took the boat out today and i got 3 2/3 lbers ..1 was foul hooked and the other 2 were all on the treble.... pretty cool...... good fight..... they didnt like corn though????

thankgod i brough bread!!!!!!!!

now heres my question.... i read a while back that some people use a short leader and a big "2-4 oz" weight to (scare them) as they take the bait..... and they set the hook....anyone tried that or use that.......

oh and srry i didnt take any pictures..... i was hoping to catch a bigger one but i cursed myself:smile2:

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the bolt rig you described all the time. Works wonders. Still I would consider dropping the treble. I have perfectly fine hookups with standard hooks.

3. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    From my understanding the Carp's taste changes throughout the season. Something sweet, like corn is the only way to go in spring, but as summer approaches my bait of choice is Wheaties.

I believe the rig you are referring to is the "bolt rig." Combined with a hair rig, the carp feel the resistance of the weight and "bolt" away, and with the purpose of the hair rig this insures a solid run.

It's not so much the leader length as it is that the weight is wedged down to a bit of rubber, or whatever method you use, so when the carp pulls he feels the resistance and bolts off, thus, dislodging the sinker and free to pull line out.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    the rig you are talking about is called a bolt rig and the easiest way to explain it is to take a carolina rig and add a split shot between your sinker and you say 3-6 in above the sinker. the way it works is the fish picks up your bait and begins to move off and feels the weight of the sinker and "bolts" the weight of the sinker sets the hook and it not only works great for carp it works on any fish the trick is finding the proper distance from sinker to split shot. hope this helps.

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is the ever effective running bolt rig. I think what is important is keeping the hair short. I cannot count how many times trimming the leader length increased hookups. Sometimes it is the smallest changes.

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i am definatly going to get rid of the trebles soon..... i felt terable when i got my second fish....i got all 3 prongs in is mouth and griped it shut......3rd one was 2 of them

im way to tired to play with the fishing stuff tonight but im going to research that rig....

can i ask, does it really work ?????? does it work wonders as some say ??????

im hooked on carp fishing......they put up a huge fight for the size !!!!!

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the correction. I've always been a fan of the carp but it's just recently that I've made them my main target fish. I still have quite a bit to learn about all the alternative rigs. Appreciate it.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    if i put a split shot where i want my sinker to stop will the carp feel it.... actually 2 split shot because i dont use swivels for em

will they feel a 2 #7 spilt shot

ive also thought of getting a small fake plant and rigging it to me line so they think nothing of it......

the thing..... where im fishing is a turist attraction to people that party on holliday weekends so they cant really be that picky.... i wouldnt be asking about any rigs if i knew the boats would keep moving my bait.....

thanks all

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    leroy,im a paylake carp fisherman and sum times wildwater but all i use is a rig that goes like this slide a 1oz sinker on ur line,then a bead,then a three way swival,tie 2 leaders about 4 inches long and put 2 size 4 wide bendz on em.then your ready to rip em. this is a 2 hook paylake rig and is very effective. good luck.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i cant believe how hard a small fish pulls like a carp.....

ive herd about 20 lb carp makeing 100yrd runs but i figured they were using 4 lb test...i had 35 lb gorilla tough line and had my drag set pretty tight ( little bit tighter than usuall but they(2-3lb ers) were makin 30 ft runs and my pole is no joke either butt that fish was running!!!!!!!!!

any way...... im going to make notes of all the rigs and the next time we go out ill try each......the way they were acting as they picked the bait i think either a fixed weight or a bolt rig will work wonders.....

are there and easy dough baits that some of you use ?????????

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i ment to say

( little bit" lighter" than usuall) not tighter.......:smile2::smile2::smile2:

im going to set up some 12 in leaders and use the carolina rig....( that sound good???? )

i got confidence in it........

you know i relised this...... of all my time fishing on a pier of fishing with people..... i ve never herd them talk about fishing for carp...... so all the big guys are still there.......are you thinking what im thinking ????? :smile2:

12. Angus1340

Angus1340 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I take 2 cups wheaties 1 Banana 1 egg and a cup of wheat germ mix it all together adding wheaties as needed to make it thicker..... then i just tear off dough balls as needed while fishing ...... if there are carp there they usually tear this up:big_smile:

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THATS A MUST TRY RIGHT THERE!!!!!!

:0a31:

14. Angus1340

Angus1340 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had Wheaties by itself worked into doughballs work pretty good too but the mixture seems to work better.

15. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the combo of wheaties and oatmeal works great, they both will dehydrate the doughball so it stays on better

and another tip, try tightlining with no weight, it will keep your bait on better and it will make the line more sensitive for a better bite to fish on ratio. the doughball should be plenty to make a good cast

16. TurboJim

TurboJim New Member

State:
    El Paso, Texas
    I have lots of luck with carp on the same basic bottom rig that I use for Cats. Slip weight, bead, swivel and 12" leader, the only difference is that I mainly use small red worms for carp on smaller hooks.
    The carp don't feel the tension on the line as the swim away, then they trip my auto hook setter and the fish usually shoots for the sky, What a BLAST, you swear it was a BASS on your line splashing around!!
    Around here I fish canals and drainage ditches with 2 to 4ft murky water, and man those fish can fight!! I quit fishing for Bass since I discovered how fun carp can be!!!:cool2:

Attached Files:

17. Alex J

Alex J Guest

Have any of you seen how they do it over in the UK (and probably elsewhere)? Man, they spend 1/2 hr. just getting set up, mixing the bait and putting it into little 'socks' of material that slowly dissolves in the water. They've got some pretty good videos of it, with cameras underwater showing the take and everything. Pretty cool to see how finicky the fish are and whatnot and how they try different setups to try and entice the fish into biting. And these are some pretty big carp. They treat the fish real well over there too, which is always good to see. :big_smile:

I thought I read an old account of the lake I fish having had carp in them at one time, but I don't think it does anymore. I've never caught one anyways. Do you have to target them specifically, or can you catch them by accident when fishing for another species like bream or catfish?

18. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i target them specifically becase i think they fight harder than catfish:embarassed:
    ( im going to be dis-owned by boc members :smile2:)

i caught my PB today of 5 lbs THEY PULL LIKE TRUCKS!!!!!!

im going to find how to make hair rigs....

19. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

yes it was a small mouth...... i put him in the boat to see what he was and let him go....:wink:

i CPR fish smaller than the fork i eat with :roll_eyes: