Carp question

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by tomcat85, Oct 5, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    so i was thinkin about setting one line up for cats tomorrow and one for carp. the problem i have is ive never fished for carp before and i could use some tips. so maybe you brothers could help me out? what kind of bait should i use? should i fish the bottom? any help would be awesome! thank you!

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    sorry posted this in the wrong area. oops.

3. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    for a starter corn on a #4 hook on a slip rig

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thank you ill definately try that!

5. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have caught carp alot of ways but I think the funnest thing to do is take some light tackle and just a small jig head. Throw out a hand full of corn and cast right in the middle of it.

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks brother anyone else have any tips!?

7. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    I agree with the sweetcorn .... just as long as they haven't seen it before, and may be a little shy. Carp are greedy, so if you know you have a good head of carp in the lake, make sure you throw plenty of loose corn in to attract them and to keep them there once they find the chum.
    Also, despite what others on this site might say, carp deserve as much respect as catfish, or any other fish for that matter, so please return all carp unharmed to fight another day ...... :smile2:

8. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i use strawberry,butternut cinnamon,grape millit on the bottom with a size two hook

9. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    I agree, carp deserve respect, I never met anybody that did not enjoy catching a carp, and I saw some awful things happen, I talked to a fish warden and it is against the law to destroy a fish if you don't use it, so he said. In europe they are a game fish.

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    One of the lakes I fish at is loaded with carp but I usually can't catch them even when I can see them all over the place. I've tried Wheatie balls and corn before without much luck. I don't really spend too much time targeting them though.

11. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    use a doeball(shreated wheat/wheatys made into a ball by using water) also fish it on the bottom carps really love it.

12. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i will definately not harm a carp i think any fish is an amazing thing. i just reallly want to fight one haha. thanks for the tips guys!

13. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    Hi Duxsrus:

What Lake Is It That Is Loaded With Carp? Thanks

14. harecutter

harecutter New Member

State:
    Sebastapol,Texas
    Big Red soda pop and Wheaties.Whole wheat bread and red soda.:eek:oooh: so good.
    Rod:smile2:

15. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Put some quaker instant oats in a ball on a treble hook. Get a spray bottle, poor vanilla in it, and spray it on the oat ball. Works great.

16. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i hear lake arthur is pretty loaded and thorn creek on rt8 is supposed to have some too.

once again thanks for the tips:big_smile:

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree, carp deserve respect. I believe carp have gotten a bad rap over the years here in the states. They actually are a very wary prey to pursue with rod and reel, especially if they've been caught and released before, and, they ain't bad eatin either if they come out of decent water and are prepared right. But I still don't want a freezer full of them when there are better eatin fish available.

If I was gonna go angling for them, I'd definitely use or include corn in my bait. Ideally, to plan 2-3 weeks a head of time in order to have some soured corn on hand to chum and bait with would be best.

18. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My bad, East Fork Lake is what I was referring to.

19. kenkinser

kenkinser New Member

State:
    Indiana
    carp are fun to catch, corn is good also Green beans works, i do add a teaspoon on brown suguar to the can and put it in the fridg over night

20. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    When I was young (a looooooooong time ago), my grandpa taught me how to fish, and we always caught carp. If he caught a catfish on his doughball bait, he would always throw it back, and always keep the carp. I on the other hand throw them all back. Unless I know of someone that is going to eat what I catch. But yes, carp definitley deserve more credit!

Kenny