Carp Pole

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by countrycat15, Feb 7, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have 2 shakespeare contender custom 7 foot meidiam action rod reel combos. i want to know would this setup work well for carp fishing and also would the 7 foot rod be long enough for carp fishing if anyone could give me any info that would be great thanks

2. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I bought a few carp rods from Brentwood angling in the UK , but Cabelas sell's the Predator rods
    If you look at them ands read the descrpitions the are rated on a test curve..
    Most rods just for carp are 9 ft long or more and very stiff at the but section but very very limber at the tip...WHY? Cause unlike Catfish who have a strong hard jaw, Carp as you might already know do not
    So to much power and you will rip the hook out...to limber of a rod and you cant muscle them in
    Whith that being said...Ive caught 20lb carp on my 6;6 sturdy stick with 40lb test ,,,so you can fish carp with any rod but a lighter action is a good idea
    I hope this helps you out

3. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    What Bro Catfish said is very very true...also, I try not to go over about 14 lb. test on my line and I would recommend some type of baitrunner for the reel. Carp are very sensitive to line and the lighter the line, the more hook-ups you will have. I have caught 25+ pound carp on 12 lb test and a 9 foot rod. I think the whip action of the 9 ft rod has a lot to do with it. Hope this helps.

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks yall have help me out a lot.i go catfishing alot and decided to try something differnt. thanks