Carp on the fly

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by delawareriver, Jun 20, 2006.

1. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    any one fly fish for carp? its geting more popular every year. i wanna get out and try it out for myself. i have an 7 wt flyrod and fish the delaware river for carp mostly under 20# so it should work. any tips or advice?

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The field & stream before last had a special section about carping with a fly. There are some flies out made specially for carp and a book about it.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I do some guiding for carp with the flyrod on ourt local streams and rivers here in Ohio and can tell you, they are not easy fish to get!
    best local flies are small nyphs, the hairyier the better, Phesant Tails, Hars Ears, scuds, and small micro buggers in Olive or black and we do well here on black stoneflies and leeches and Murrays hellgramites, just mimicing whats in your local watershed is the most important thing.

Salmonid

4. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    The last cabelas fly fishing catalog had a whole set of carp flies and an instructional book on how to catch them usin the fly rod. $20.00 or $30.00 Bucks for the set.

5. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think that would be neat to try....lately i've been thinkin more and more about fly rodding

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i love flyfishing.... anything big is a blast heck i once cought a small channel ona fly and i LOVED it.... nothing like it

i want to advance my flyfishing for bigger fish soon

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I never have enjoyed flyfishing as much as regular rod and reel fishing, but I think something like a Carp on a flyrod would be a real blast to catch.

8. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    last year igot a 12 pounder on a fly rod put up a nice figt much better than normal reels

9. simko

simko New Member

State:
    Ontario
    my buddy caught a 9lb carp on his 4wt, he used a clauser minnow and just letit hit the bottom, and he slowly stripped it tiny amounts, to mimmick a dead minnow just being moved by the current.