Carp on circle hooks.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by dano40, May 23, 2007.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Can you use circle hooks to catch carp?

2. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    I tried circles last summer and could not get a hook up, switched to standard hooks and they worked fine

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I was going to say to same thing I wouldn't think carp will do very well on circle hooks I have use J hooks and small kahle hooks and have found the kahle to get a better hook up

4. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    The best way to catch carp is the hair rig with standard hook. Basically the bait is on a tail behind the hook about an inch. If they suck in an go to spit it out, the hook still catches the lips. Works well on cats too! Hannibal Mike

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I was recently using a 5/0 circle with nightcrawlers and caught a 10 and 8 pounder back-to-back this way. I say it can be done.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Im sure it can be done. Though, My experience has been different waters sometimes require different tactic.. I have found Lake Carp to be Much Much more timid while River Carp seem to be a whole lot more aggressive. For Lake carp, I would say no way. River carp, maybe.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I'd have to agree with the river carp being more aggressive, but still, i NEVER use circle hooks for carp. Just a standard #6 hook with corn is all you'll need.:cool2: