Carp on artificial lures

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Myk88, May 29, 2009.

1. Myk88

Myk88 New Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I personally had never heard of it before, but this spring early (March), I was bass fishing in an Ohio river backwater. I was using a 3 inch storm swim shad lure, and I caught 8 carp, all hooked IN THE MOUTH.

I didn't even know they would hit a moving bait. It was a blast catching all those carp on a medium action bass baitcaster and 10# test though. Biggest was 8lbs,7oz.

2. Myk88

Myk88 New Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    As a side note, I have fished the same area regularly, and used the same lure, but I only caught them on that one day. It was a 75 degree day in the middle of a bunch of 45 degree weather.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve fished carp for a lot of years and can recall of 2 times that they were hitting minnows.Both times the water was clear and I was crappie fishing,I watched them swim up,look at it,then eat it,it wasn,t an accident.If they,ll eat minnows at times,I don,t see why they won,t eat a minnow imitating lure at times either.Seems like a once in a blue moon deal,still aint figured out why?:eek:oooh:

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I've caught quite afew on a neon green mister twister grub but only in clear water on a bright sunny day.

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've caught a lot of them over the years on crappie jigs,but I would never try for them that way.

6. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I too have caught several on crappie jigs, seems they like the John Deere color [green head with yellow hair] but the strangest - and only time I have ever seen it happen - was a neighbor at the lake caught a big carp, over 20#, on a black grape plastic worm! And it was not snagged, it had sucked the worm right down. And for what it is worth, this same guy caught a lot of big catfish on plastic worms. I never say him use but two colors, black grape and red shad.
    I've caught a few cat on plastic worms but nothing like he did.

7. Myk88

Myk88 New Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I've caught 4 nice channel cats on a blue jointed Rapala minnow this year, and a 22lb, 8oz flathead on a firetiger chatterfrog. That flat was a BARGE to land on 12lb test and a medium action crankin rod!

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I think i catch more carp when im not trying to then when i am going specifically for them..especially when i used to trot line a lot...seems like id catch them on almost anything alive or dead. wish that were the case on a rod but they werent very rewarding on trot line

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Strangest thing I ever caught a carp on was a 4" bluegill I was using for bait while catfishing. Caught him in the mouth so he must of gone for the bluegill.

10. Keny_Moye

Keny_Moye New Member

State:
    Washington, IL
    i catch alot of buffalo carp on strata jigging spoons all in the mouth also

11. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    A few years ago, I caught my PB carp on a small, floating crankbait on a farm pond here in Nebraska. It came in at 32lbs. and 2 yrs ago, I landed a 22lbr. on the TN. river near Chattanooga on a green Mr. Twister. I have caught several hundred Carp in my time but my 2 biggest have been on lures. Go figure...

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I was fishing a fat shad crankbait a few yeas back while bass fishing and hooked a 34 pound carp in the mouth . I was freaking out thinking I had caught a huge bass . I told my son in law to get the net cause if this is a bas I have the world record . To my suprise once I saw it I was heart broke ..lol . Damn thing had me thinking I caught a monster bass . That is the only carp I have caught on artifical lure .

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have caught them and buffalo on jigs during the sand bass run. I think they are in there eating the sand bass eggs and the jig come by and they take it.

14. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've caught carp on big, live shiners. Both times it was pretty cold out, and I was fishing for walleyes. I've heard that when the water gets colder, they will eat fish more often... I guess it makes sense.

I haven't gotten one on a lure yet, but it doesn't surprise me. They'll eat just about anything.

15. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never caught them on lures, but I do know that they feed heavy on shad during the winter die off. When the shad are washing up on the bank I have benefited by putting a few on a hook and tossing it out. High protein, easy meals.