carp on a lure!

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by massa_jorge, May 9, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    been a while since i have caught a carp on a lure. i was crappie fishing and this thing felt like a bass or really big crappie. just figured i'd share!

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Cool! I'll bet you did think ya had a nice one. LOL!

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a very nice Carp.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Several times I've thought that I hooked into a big bass or crappie only to discover it is a carp or drum.

5. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I caught a nice carp last summer on a yellow crankbait. I've heard if they are hungry enuff they'll bite an orange, yellow, or bright green artificial.

6. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I pulled a five pound buffalo carp out of the lake over here on minnow spoon. Absolutely blew my mind when he hit it.:eek:oooh:

7. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Nice carp. That looks like some serious fun right there.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The biggest carp I ever caught was when casting around cattails with a rooster tail spinner.... I've watched carp slam into schools of shad then suck-up the injured ones

9. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    You should always put the carp on a mat or maybe wet grass, the pictures you posted show it laying on some dirt, it can harm the carp, other then that a nice fish

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    he got cut up right after that pic, he turned into 15 or so channel cats after that. if i am going to release a carp, i won't set them on anything, i cradle them, remove the hook, and take a pic and let em go. you can see in my other post the carp my girls caught, i teach them the same thing. they hold a fish to be released by supporting all its weight. you can see in kids how they were taught, some kids slam fish on the ground and drag them around when caught, some show them respect. learning proper handling starts at a young age!

11. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    That's really good to hear that you're teaching your girls that way. I've been trying to show my troops the same thing. One addition though is to have wet hands when you handle a fish that you're not keeping. it keeps you from removing their slime. if they lose too much of their slime coat, then they can drown. it's the only thing that keeps them watertight believe it or not.

I've got a gut that I work with that used to come fishing with me. He caught one fish with me, and after that, i told him he wasn't welcome anymore. he thinks fish are gross and nasty, and I guess fishing is more of a picking on something smaller than him kind of thing. what he'll do is, pick the fish up out of the water by letting it dangle from the hook. then he puts it down between his feet and takes the hook out without touching the fish at all. then he just kicks it back into the water.
    ...we almost came to blows over that.

12. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good job promoting proper fish handling, should be done with all species. I usually only see kids treat them as gross, not usually adults. You did the right thing. I used to put the fish on dirt, untill I learned a better way, now it is either landing mat, or soft grass. I always have my mat though. I also understand that not everyone has one, I have actually given away kindergarten mats to local anglers showing sincere interest. It is always good to promote proper handling, it will allow us to catch the fish over and over again. In fact the 27lber in one of my recent posts was a recapture 3 times over the last few months (we found the hook marks), good handling has allowed it.

13. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    That's good to hear. I don't use a mat, but i normally use a fine mesh net and never touch the fish directly with my hands unless it's for a photo. If i do need to touch the fish, it's always with wet hands, and then i use the net to release unless it's a really tired fish.

for really tired fish, i hold them with two hand in the water and try to move them around a bit so they can get some good breaths in before i let them go.

so far, i only know for sure of one carp that i've caught twice. he was a little guy. about nine inches long, almost two pounds. he's a buffalo carp, really stout breed of carp. I look forward to catching him again after he bulks up this summer.

14. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a nice looking carp that you caught there congrats on your catch glad to hear you caught one, I say that put up one heck of a fight expecially crappie fishing, thanks for sharing the photo and good luck to you from here on out on the rest of your fishing trips.