CARP ON A FLY ROD

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by BIG_D, Sep 20, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    took heather brem fishing this evning i drug out my little 5ft fly rod was siting thear playing with the brem we was using corn well i got the bright idea it would be fun to catch a carp on that small rod im using 6lb leader well i realy load the hook with corn toss it out and let it setl down to botum wasent long till one grabed it man this carp gave me and this rod a work out after about 15 min of playing him my leader heald out and i got him in he was about a 10 pounder man that was fun so i tried for anuther wasent long the fight was on agen this time it was a biger carp man this is cool never thout i could have so much fun catching a stinking carp this time i drew a crowd the fly reel was singing as i would gain on him thean have to let him run a man was fishing below us he come up to see the fight after hearring the reel sing a guy on a motor cycl stoped to watch this fish was giving me a run for the mony i started to think he was going to break the rod so im realy playing him i fout with him for prob 15 to 20 min seemd like forever but im loving it i finely ware him down and get my first glimps of him he is big he sees me and spooks and its on agen for a short spert but now hes wiped thank goodnes cause i am too get him to serface finly and net him and hes a good 25lb er talk about fun you want some exsitement try a carp on a fly rod with a 6lb leader its a blast its got me thinking on down sizing for the cats too the fight is a lot more fun but thinking on it i dont know that id want to stress the cats that much as i cpr a big bunch of the cats but i will be playing with the carp from time to time wish i had my camara with me but was thinking brem today dident think id need it

2. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    Wish I had carp that size around where I fish! However,in the places I go I use a 4' 6" rod with 6lb line to catch 1-5lb carp and to me it's still a blast.For me I just love reeling in something that's a bit of a challenge and carp are great because they're everywhere.

Sounds like you had a great time.Nice job on the 25 pounder!

3. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Right now fishing is kinda slow , but the wife and I fish for carp anytime of the day and have a great time . Corn or dough balls ,worms , all work great ! I keep them for 4-5 days in my artesion well tank ,then I clean and smoke them . there great smoked with fruit wood or hickery . jay jay

4. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    First off Way to Go brother Dallas for catching that huge monster carp on a fly rod and 6#.

I've had many a day of fishing "saved" by the lowly carp.
    Anytime you hook a carp over the 10lb bracket you are going to know you've been in a fight before your through.

My PB carp was 19.5 lbs on 10lb line 20 years ago, and I'll never forget the epic battle.

Big fish on light tackle make for epic battles and awesome memorys. Enjoy yours, you've earned it. :)

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yea catfishings ben kinda slow and the carp are a good way to fill that void and what fun never ben a carp fishermen befor now but i kinda like it

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Man, that's amazing! I've never thought about using a fly-rod to fish for carp.

I'm sure that somewhere in my barn I still have an old fly-rod.:wink:

Thnaks Dallas1 for the report.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    That sounds like a great idea never thought about:cool2:

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Bill get out that old fly rod you will love it
    Ed i never realy pland on it i just hapen to see one and i toled my girl i bet it be fun to catch one on the fly rod and thats how it started

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    sounds fun

10. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Carp on the fly sure are fun, my biggest on a fly rod is about 15lbs. My best fly is a cottonwood seed fly in spring when they are cruising the shoreline.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    seth can you post a pic of the cotenwood seed fly thats a new one on me thanks

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dallis I have't targeted carp fer years some time I am gonna have to try to find them pics and scan em..when I was a wee lass Id sneak to the Sipp and carp fish with my buddy...I have had them at the time bout drag the two of us in (LOL) no wonder Mama didnt want me round the river (LOL)....If you get a big one score it and smoke it or grill it Oh man its good eating....my brother stuffs them with taters oinions & various peppers then grills to perfection....Its good!:wink:.....there one of my favorite fighting fish you get a big one you best be ready cause there aint no time out:wink:....OH YEAH!Flyin fer em has to rock(LOL)

13. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Here, when I get my camera back, I will post a pic of some of the one's I've tied.

Attached Files:

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks seth

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Kenny iv never cleand a carp or eat one is thear anything spechal i need to know about cleaning theam i will try anything ones lol

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dallis you clean them like a bass or anything else .....head and scale gut & stuff:wink:

17. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    They have a lot more bones than other fish, its like a buffalo they have an extra ribcage. Scale it, skin it, gut it, cut off its head, deass it and cook it. Chew carefully till you get used to eating them and know where the bones are.
    Its not bad eating just be careful feeding it to the kids.

Best used as bait.

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Ray im outa thanks so i will just say thank you the old fashion way lol:cool2:

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    carp on a fly rod or ultralight tackle are a blast! i use a 9' rod and a 6# leader, or a ugly stik lite that's 5 foor with 6# line. make sure you turn the drag down, and settle in for a fight!

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    just cant beat the light stuff for exsitement:cool2: