Carp on a fly rod!

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by massa_jorge, Mar 26, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i got a cheap fly rod/reel combo for 7 bucks at wallyworld, so i could catch carp on it. have been trying to get one for 3 weeks now, and finally hooked into a 6 pound carp. man it was hilarious, the reel was screaming and the rod was doubled over. that's the first batch of cutbait for the year, i am looking forward to many more throughout the spring!

2. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Thats awesome!
    Ive wanted to do that for years!..I want to get one with the slip rings and put a little micro light open face with 2 lb test on it and give it a shot ..what a good time

3. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    That sounds like a blast! It is amazing how big a small fish feels on a flyrod. I bet that one felt like a beast! So what did you use for bait? I'm trying to imagine something that wouldn't get cast off.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i have to say it wasn't on a fly. i used a #16 treble with a tiny ball of biscuit dough on it. i get the buttermilk biscuit dough from braum's, it's tough enough to withstand the whipping around. i use siverthread an-40 in 6 pound test for a leader instead of a regular tippet.
    this place i was at, we consistently catch 10-15 pound carp on our cat rods. i just wanted to up the fight a little bit. now i am waiting to hang one of those big ones on it.
    you can use the really light line for a leader because of the action and length of the fly rod. also, you are basically the drag, so the fish can pull out as much line as it needs. normally on our cat poles we just horse in any size we catch and throw it on the bank. with the fly rod you have to totally play the fish out, or he will come off at the bank. it's great.

5. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Wow! That is a tiny little hook! I'm amazed that you hooked him.

Were you just casting to fish or did you just cast and let it sit? You've got to video that. That would be incredible!

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i cast to fish when i see them, otherwise i let it sit where they usually are around the cattails. you can see the mainline twitch when they pick it up, then set the hook when it runs out. the place i am fishing is about 4 foot deep, but right after they are hooked they smoke out to deeper water. that's where the real fight is.
    when the carp aren't biting, i just catch trout after trout. it will be better later in the spring when all the trout die and the only thing to hit the bait will be big golden bunches of cutbait! :big_smile:
    i use the #16 treble and the 6 pound line because they hit it and run better than the heavier cat line i would normally use.