Carp....need a little info

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by copycat, May 16, 2007.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    My step dad recently took me to a creek where he use to fish often back in the 60s. We went there about 2 weeks ago, he had not been there since the 60s (40+ years). I was expecting to find some channel cats but the deepest water I could find was no more than 6 feet. What I did notice was Carp, everywhere, splashing and thrashing like crazy on the edges of the creek. I quess they were spawning. It is a real nice creek and he wants me to take him back there soon, (he has lots of memories there) so I want to try to fish for these carp. What is the best approach to hook in to the carp there, what bait? what rig would be best? Thanks for help!

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    When the spawn is over, canned sweet corn would be a great bait. J

3. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have great luck with carp. always catch them when i fish for them. and i use a relitivly small trebble hook. and i use wheaties and crushed pineapple. i buy doles crushed , in heavy surp. and i use the liguid out of the can . to make my dough ball. i also use the pineapple to. i use a glob of it in the doug ball. and i work it in my hands some times 5 minutes , before its right . and i put a small ball on the hook. enough to cover it . nice round ball. my doughballs wont fall off your hook. its somtimes hard to remove them when done fishing . but it works amazingly well for me. i dont use much weight . cause you dont need it . the fish sucks it up off the bottom. and the trebble hooks almost always hooks.once sucked up. but there mouths are not very big. so i dont use big dough balls. good luck

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    All you need to catch carp is canned corn. I also have a creek that matches your description, the conewago in york county PA. Anyway, when you first arrive, open a can of corn, and throw the contents out into the water where you plan to fish. This will cause all the carp in the area to go into feeding mode. I'd suggest using spinning tackle and 8-12lb. test. I kno that seems light, but carp are line sensitive, and you'll get the most action on lighter line. Plus, it adds to the challenge of landing them. :cool2: . Use size 6 hooks put on several kernals of corn, and enough weight to keep your bait on the bottom. Then throw it out in the area that you threw the corn. loosen the drag on your reel and set your pole down parrell to the water, so that the carp can take line while feeling as little resistance as possible. Have fun, and catch a big one!!!:big_smile:

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Also, i never use trebles, because if the carp breaks off the treble hook could actually hook both sides of the carps mouth, and basically hook its lips shut, causing it to starve to death.

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like to take a couple hand fulls of corn and pitch them out there and then cast my corn right in the middle of it. if you can i like to use a split shotjust enough to get me to the bottom..good luck they sure are fun

7. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I have great luck with cornflake ball, I just mix a couple handfulls of cornflakes with a handfull of flour sometimes a few drops of vanilla and add water till its a nice doughy consistancy that will stay on the hook well. I also have alot of luck with plain old oats, just take a can with you fishing and when you need a bait take out what you need wet it a few times untill it will stay on your hook well, and beleive me it works, It also stays on the hook better than anything else I use for carp fishing. Oh yeah the type of hook I use when fishing these baits are size 2 baitholders, the ones with a bent eye. Hope this info will help.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Hmmmm.... I think i might try this sometime.

9. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Use a size 6-8 hook. I'd go with the 8 if you have it. You can probably catch some of these fish. Some might be done spawning and some might not have spawned yet at all. Get some bread cheap white bread. Rip off the corner of the bread. It will look like a triangle. Put the hook through the bread and mash a little part of the bread thats around the hook. This is so the hook stays on. Put a bobber on like 12 inches up your line and throw out the bread. No weight or anything. Either that or freeline it. If the carp are feeding on the surface they should take it. It may take awhile for them to find it. But they will. I've caught carp up to 9lbs using this method. You could also try worms or corn. Just put some corn on the hook and fish it on the bottom. Make sure you have your bail open or drag set really low or your pole will fly into water. I learned by having to go swimming for mine the other day! lol. Hope this helps. Also if you catch a carp thats has spawn in it. return it to the water as soon as possible.

Tom

10. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    definatly chum and fish with corn. i do this for the kids at the lake every time we go up there. they are all pros when it comes to fighting big fish because of the carp.

12. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Another great bait besides corn that i found is to take a loaf of white bread and breakit up. Then yake the juices from a can of salmon or jack mackeral and mix it with the bread to make a doughball. I've watched carp swim by and do a 90 dergree turn and hit it.

13. jlburton

jlburton New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would suggest if you are fishing with more than one pole take and can of whole kernal sweet corn, put it on one pole and a dough ball on the other. one recipe for dough balls i use is wheaties, wheat germ found at most grocery stores,and vanilla extract. i dont even make my dough balls untill i get to the spot im fishing i just get a hand full of wheaties dip them in the water then start crushing, it will immedietly get doughy. then add some wheat germ,a whole lot is really not needed. if the dough is not hard enough to stay on hook then add more wheaties with out dipping them in water. then make the dough ball flat like a pancake and pour on the vanilla. this is my favorite dough ball for carp, ive also caught a lot of buffalo suckers.

Good luck

14. camden_blumenschein

camden_blumenschein New Member

State:
    Ohio
  15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i throw a bunch of white bread in the water, then when the fish swirl on it i will cast small size 6 baitholders in there with no weight. i pinch the bread on there and it holds a hook pretty good.
    i use my ultralight with 6# silver thread on it, and turn the drag down a little bit. i also use a fly rod with the bread. it's hilarious to hang a good carp on either one of those rigs. it's more fun i think to catch bait when it cramps your arms to fight it.

16. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    well that about covers eveything i was looking for thanks