carp line shy?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by rcbbracing, Sep 15, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a spot on a local small river where i catch suckers and bullheads for bait. Up to this point i was using ultralights and it was great...until a BIG carp would run out YARDS of line then tangle ya up or break you off. so i went to 30lb test on a bigger pole and now i dont catch carp. Is it a coincidence and the fish just left this hole or do they not like my new line?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    carp can get line shy depending on the clarity of the water. i use 4 pound test fireline for them and it works good, and also allows me to catch my bait. question is, are you still able to catch your intended bait????

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Try using a flouracarbon leader. Seagar in my opinion is the best. Small diameter and low visability. Yes, carp definitely do become line shy. Just like any other big fish they do not become big by being stupid. Hope this helps.

Ray

4. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I second the flouro leader. I use 10# P-Line and keep my drag set to handle it. It takes a while to play out a big carp, but that's the fun part.

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Yes they can become Lineshy over time! Yet, most of the Carp in the USA have never been caught and this is not a problem. As others have said, a Heavy line in the water will alert them to problems and they will avoid what has become a learned obsticle. I use PP with a Flourocarbon shock leader. This fished on the bottom has produced fish in all water clearity. Previously, I fished in Europe and this was more of a factor than here. If the line is thinner, then you will get more takes! 30lb. Mono is too BIG in my opinion. My 18lb. line was considered by many to be Over kill when I was there. I have since switched to PP braide and it is my line of choice for strenght and diameter. I loose the abraision resistance of mono, but gain the stealthty ability to get them closer. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

6. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    IMO, carp are shy of everything.

7. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Especially the brightly colored Koi who because of their bright colors stand out like a sore thumb to every predator.

Ray

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Excellent post! Very well said.:wink: Enjoy the Rep.