Carp: length, weight, and girth ?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by kyron4, Nov 18, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The bigger of the Carp I caught this year ran 26-28 inches long, with around 17 inches girth, and around 10 pounds. Are 15-20 pound Carp usally much longer or just "fatter" ? I see alot of pics of " 20 lbs. carp " that just don't seem very long and not super fat either. Any length, girth, weight numbers on some of your Carp ?-Thanks

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Many pics I have seen on sites of 20lb carp are estimates. Normally a 20lb carp will have the 30+ in length and 20in girth I believe. My big one had a girth of (and I forget exactly now) 28in and length of 35 so it was very large. Usually bigger carp have a large girth. Girth adds up quicker in length in respect to weights.

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    kyron4 & mcwrestler, the viewing of a photo will only give you an estimate of a Carps weight. Many fish will be the same length or height but have a much different weight. The girth of a fish in a photo may not be seen and you are only considering the length and height. The only TRUE way to know what the weight is by weighing the fish with a scale. JMHO!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Never had a scale and I bought one mainly for this reason.(weighing carp) The thing is after I got the scale didn't get to weigh any. The only one I landed after I bought the scale snapped the line as I was trying to get him out the water..... Would of loved to see how much it weighed looked huge to me.........

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    But length and girth when measured correctly with a flexible measuring tape can be put into a formula to get VERY close estimates of weight. I have compared against a scale, only the measurements give slightly lighter weight. I believe the formula is length*girth*girth/800