Carp killing post got me thinkin...

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Gary S., Mar 21, 2007.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The carp killing post got me to thinkin... What do y'all say about an online brainstorming session about these things?
    The first rule of brainstorming ------ NEVER think about whether your suggestion is feasable. Just post it, period. It will likely stir the creativity of others.
    Second rule-----there must not be ANY negativity regarding someone elses post. For instance: "Billy Joe Bob, that'll never work cuz....." All this accomplishes is stifling good ideas.
    After 100 posts, or 14 days, whichever comes first, we'll start discussing the feasibility of some of the ideas. If anyone has any other ideas about how to set this up, or manage it, feel free to pm or post.
    Remember: only positive input!
    I'll start.
    1. Pesticide
    2. Physical removal i.e. seining/trapping of some sort.
    3. Shooting with some kind of weaponry.
    4. Sterilization.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Snagging is another option.
    Season is limited, but during the season should work well.

3. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yup...Taliesin,
    5. Snagging

4. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    maybe trotlines stretched across there breeding flats baited with corn or dog food....i always catch alot of big carp on our drop lines on the piers...youll prob. catch a few cats too, but those could be released...and the carp are actually pretty tasty if you have the right recipe to pressure cook and can them

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I wonder if the department of conservation has any ideas about a way to limit there numbers? or if they are already working on something.

6. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm sure they have had several meetings on it and are still having on-going work on the subject. But I also thought as many of us that have long-time backgrounds on the water, WE may come up with a very viable solution as well.

7. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Sadly, there is more biomass of Asian carp than any other fish in the Missouri river. They are really getting out of hand. However last week I heard from a guy that works for MDC that they are going to reintroduce alligator gar in some of Missouri’s rivers for silver and bighead carp control.

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    You mean that the Missouri River has no alligator gar? Incredible!

I expected that any river draining into the Mississippi River has alligator gar. The Arkansas River here in Oklahoma has it's share, let me assure you!

There are also no shortages of needlenose, shortnose or longnose gar.

Natural means of control on a particular species is best, but when an introduced specie has few predators for whatever reason, that specie will fill it's new habitat to carrying capacity. Unfortunately, the european and oriental carp species have the ability to destroy the habitat for other species (including their predators) while surviving in comfort.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a wake-up call for all catfishermen. What native predatory species is able to control this plague of non-native carp?

We don't have to look far... our own favorite gamefish... the blue and flathead catfish have the size, temperment, and appetite to control this plague.

We catmen must realize as a group that we can help control these asian carp by allowing the larger catfish (capable of gobbling these invaders by the hundreds) to live, eat and breed more carp eaters.

Please, practice catch and release on these great fish. The catfish most likely to eat the carp are the ones over 10 pounds... the same ones that lay the best, most viable eggs producing the catfish our grandchildren will fish for.

9. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    do gar eat small catfish as well?

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    There probably arent any alligator gar because a group of people probably got together and went on a gar killing spree, cause they are "trash" fish, and they didnt like them...Sort of like yall are planning for the carp.

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The gar are a naturally occurring species in our waters. The carp aren't...

12. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    down in fla the biologists had a lake seined to remove both phosphoris and shad. they say shad soak up phosphoris. sounds like a good maby! reguarding both problems.

13. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    This may sound silly, but is there a way to get to their nests and get the eggs before they hatch?

14. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    dont know much about lakes. what does "seined" mean?

15. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    well if it worked that good maybe we do have a chance!! :big_smile:

16. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
  17. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think we should start a gigantic PR campaign promoting the aphrodisiac effect of powdered carp brains. Before you know it every poacher in the country would be out here figuring new and creative ways to catch these things and sell them to Asia. Never underestimate the power of the criminal mind.

18. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL @ criminal mind.
    Seriously though...is there anyone out there who has experience making gill nets? I'm wondering if we can make a gill net of some sort that takes advantage of there somewhat odd shape? Ya know, without simply catching anything that swims? Any input guys?

19. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Albert, theres is no gator gar in the Missouri river, in Mo atleast, and very few if any in southern Missouri streams they once inhabited. Asian carp are out of control and will/are out competing native fish such as gizzard shad and spoonbill. Disturbing the Asian nest wont work becuase when Asian carp spawn the female lays her eggs and the eggs freely float down stream until they hatch. Whatever method of control Im all for it. Asian carp will effect the Mo. rivers ecosystem. One option my old aquaculture professor brought up was creating a market for asian carp. More tons of silver carp are consumed world wide than any other species. However I dont think that is a option in the US.