Carp Killing Anyone?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by DWB, Mar 20, 2007.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey guys!

With all the talk about how bad this carp problem is getting what say you we all take a day from our beloved species (catfish) and concentrate on killing carp for an entire weekend. I know we wouldn't even put a dent in the population but it might be kinda fun. Everyone get out there and slay them, no matter if by snagging, bowfishing or whatever and send those carcases down the river to New Orleans!

Every one use this thread to post up the number of these invasive buggers you kill on your outing and include some pics as well.

2. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I would be up for it totally if I had a boat.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    would like to get some guys together this summer and jump some carp need to
    let the water warm up, see if I can get enough guys to go and have some fun.
    Jim

4. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Sounds good. Carp can be very fun to catch.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    What carp problem? lol

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
  7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Count me in. I love bowfishing for them nasty ol carp. :smile2:

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Just name the time and place. I could probably kill more just by getting them to jump in the boat, than by fishing for them.:big_smile: :big_smile:

9. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wonder if the MDC would say anything about shooting them with a shotgun. I watched Lisa Tiffany shoot them with a bow one time on TV and she can come shoot them with me any day! She is quite the shot with a bow and would be nice scenery on the boat! Kill them all!

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I hear ya there. I did ask my conservation agent about shooting them, and he said that if he seem me doing this, he wouldn't say anything, so I don't really know if it is technically legal or not. I guess that safety would be the biggest concern.

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Its technically illegal and could be subject to interpretation.

12. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I e-mailed the MDC and they e-mailed me back and said it is NOT Legal to shoot any fish with a shoot gun. I also ask if they thought maybe that could be changed and they did not answer. I do know its a blast to get them that way. If I didn't think we would get caught I would be ready to go after them, but I got pertly good last year with my GIG. I also believe it would be a lot of fun with a bow and arrow. What the heck ,, Count me in....

13. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like we have got several folks in. We can always use more! Remember to post up accounts and pics of your kills.

Anyone gonna be launching out of Weldon springs for the nasty little buggers? If so when and I might launch at the same time and we could double team em!

14. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    This is one of those rare times that I agree on killing a fish just in sport. These asian carp have got to go, before they decimate the population of our catfish, and other fish.

IM IN!

:hell_boy:

15. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    im confused whats going on? Over pop. of carp?

16. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes tomcat, that's exactly whats goin on! I assume your kidding, but if not/ or if someone runs across this post and isn't already aware of the problem, here's the skinny...
    Do you know of anyone with guppies in a fish tank? These asian carp are the same way, on a much bigger scale. They'll over-populate ANY body of water regardless of the size of that body of water. Biggest problem with them is they eat the very same food source as shad, plankton.
    Before these invaders, the balance was fairly good. Decent levels of shad that the habitat could support, and decent levels of predators feeding on the shad. To my knowledge, threadfin and gizzard shad cannot grow to a size that our native catfish can't eat. The asians though, can reach 50lbs for sure, maybe much more. Therefore, at that size they are prolific breeders that have NO natural enemies to keep them under control. All this equals BIG trouble for our fisheries.

17. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    yeah that doesnt sound good for the cats. I seriously wasnt kidding lol i had no idea what was going on. I just fish for cats common carp i really dont know what asian carp look like. theres gotta be something to do other than blowing them away. catch them! lol

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Considering what season it is (snagging) another concern is that they compete with spoonbill for food.

19. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    They're really not good for anything other than bait-and not every time, for that matter.

20. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Ive never caught one yet, but im on the trail. I hear they put up a dang good fight!