Carp info needed

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by chicagoriverking, Nov 20, 2005.

1. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    I am into fishing for carp now i was wondering if i can get help with chumming ingredients i have made my own dough bait that works wonders and caught 2 more 20 pounders on it. i just was wondering if chumming makes a difference cause i fish a river? does it still work good in the winter?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hand full of corn makes a great carp chum. or try poking some wholes in a can of corn and toss out where ya are fishing. sent goes out slow. please tie on a string and retrieve the can though.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    what type rig would you use to catch carp? what would you use a bait? :confused:

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Here's a link where you can find out more about carp fishing than you may really want to know:

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/

Its a growing sport with some big money tournaments already. These guys are pretty radical about it, remind me of some catfish people. Most are into catch and release. You really need to read about how they handle carp after they're caught. Makes trout fly fishermen look brutal.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Canned corn makes a good chum..I know guys who use cases of the stuff to attracted lots of carp to an area..You can use a spod if you are needing to cast your corn out long distances...A slingshot with a large pouch is also good for chumming corn...Corn also makes an excellent hook biat!

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yup they hit it corn is what i use on the hook and for chum! i also use a wheaties sweet tater n jello bait, i learned as a kid from a old guy on the little miami river. the mixes work better in a river as they dissolve and release sent longer.

7. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    If you are fishing for carp, chumming works (however, you may want to check local laws in regards to chumming). Corn works best and should settle to the bottom if the water has no current. You should be fishing currentless waters, especially backwater areas. If you must fish the current, fish where a small slow moving creek enters the river and washes in food (try baiting the mouth of that creek).

8. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I chum with creamed corn. I think it mixes with the water better. Its also good chum for bluegill.

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

corn soured chiken fed fish food(pellet kind) all make some decent chum for carp

10. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    They love mashed bread and potato, when combined are good carriers of flavour and oil, try putting a tin of tuna in with the mix as well. If you want some recepies let me know.

11. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    My experiences in carp fishing are rather limited but I am learning.A question that I have though is if you do use a oil to help spread the scent as you do with cats,would corn oil be better than other oils?

12. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    With out getting to deep in deatil Ill share some info
    Im a member of CAG which is Carp Anglers Group , the link on the first page is to our site .. its based on the UK verioson of carp fishing, they use a hair rig and Bolies and Maize to catch carp
    A hair rig
    the bait(Maize) is threaded onto a hair which is line tied to the hook , the bait dosent go onto the hook itself, so that when the carp sucks it off the bottom and weather it wants it or not it has the hook aswell and when it turns its head weather to spit it out or to run it catches itself..very smart ideal ..I have a 97% hook up rate with it

Maize
    Feild corn boiled or soaked to rehydrate itself with still retaining the hard outter shell..sometimes added flavors to it helps...My favoirite is strawberry

A boilie
    a dough bait that is rolled into balls and boiled till they float..very hard to make and not to mention expencive due to most of the ingredeints coming from the UK..

the rods to land 30lb carp
    There rated by test curve..like 3lb and 1.75 lb..there like a 12 ft fly rod with a very stiff but section..they must be cause the Carp have very soft lips and not a jaw like our cats

Tackle
    they use 12 lb test and number 6 hooks and 1 oz sinkers to catch 30lb plus carp

They aslo use rod pods,,BTW I built one for $2 out of PVC..I had pic at the old site ill try to find them ....The UK one From FOX Baits are around $75
    The Rod pod actually points the rod tips at the water so the carp can grab them and run with out any resitance

More to come later

13. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    if you could help me out with some recipes i will appreciate it

14. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    What do you do with carp?Throw them back in,eat them or what?? :confused:

15. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    kaleigh What do you do with carp?Throw them back in,eat them or what??

I'd lower them back gently lol, depends if they are big or small and weather your hungry, if it is over 20lb it wont taste as good as one that is around 5lb.

They are in my opinion a very good sport fish and fishing for them has gripped the uk angling population by the balls. As we know the monk brought them from East and built stew ponds in all our Abbeys and Churches, the carp were introduced as a food source.

English taste buds and attitude towards carp have changed they are now highly sought after by professional fishermen, they even have names!

The Uk has a long carp fishing history, nearly all the tackle in the shops is carp orientated, they are fished for in matches and there is more than a daily crust to be made testing and innovating new product and formulating new bait.

Boilies were popualr but as bro_catfish said they are expensive especilly the recipies that work, noweredays alot of carp fall foul to plastic corn!!! yes carp eat plastic, it is even sold with a uv torch that makes it glow in the dark! If you find something you like from the UK email me and I can arrange for it to be sent to you via post.

Hemp seed is another good bait for attracting carp, its oil is very suitable to most boilie recipies. As we know oil seperates in water and temperature plays a part when baits are presented on the lake and river bottoms.

Boilies captivated the imagination of the carp angler with thousands of secret ingredients and formulations when making baits for carp, and the sucess factor of making your own bait and it working with great sucess. A good excuse to go in the kitchen and knock up a cake mix but roll it in balls and boil it as opposed to whacking it in the oven and coating in icing, feed the fish instead of your face.

Many fisherman used to use either fish, fruit or meat boilies, although combinations of fish and fruit and meat and fish have become more popular.

Boilies are made from eggs, oils, powders, and potions. This mixture is rolled into a paste small balls or squares and boiled until they float. They have the advantage that they stay formed leaking oils and flavours for hours on end on the river or lake bottom.

Many boilies have active ingredients. Enzymes and acids that induce fish to feed and making the bait highly digestable so the fish eat more and more They are normally amino acids, hydroslates etc etc

When I make boilies I prepare 2 mixes, 1 is wet the other is dry. The wet mix is prepared first and usually contains no less than 6 eggs, 5ml of oil (oil helps make the wet and dry mix bond to a paste and aids rolling), some flavour (5 - 10ml) Your wet mix can contain other viscous products like milk shake syrup, liquidised fish or meat or fruit puree

The dry mix is the bulking agent, soya flour and powdered semolina are good carriers of flavour, you can add anything dry here like gravy granules, powdered kelp and dried blood and liver powder, colours like robin red etc

The dry mix is added in stages to the wet mix and results in you kneeding dough as if it were bread when the dough does not stick to your fingers it is ready for rolling.

I use 6 egg mixes because I can roll it in to balls and cubes before the paste goes dry. I boil my baits for 5 minutes, if you want a nice soft bait then take out when they start to float, the harder baits are achieved when the baits are boiled for longer. I then leave them to air dry for a day or so then re-hydrate with oils and flavours before fishing with them.

I did a brief bit of surfing on the subject and found this -

The one thing I have found in fishing all these years from waters both in the UK and abroad is that you don't have to spend a fortune on bait to catch big carp. I have experimented a lot in the past with various baits but for the past four years i have used the same bait for all my Boilie fishing.

The base mix consists of:

8oz of yellow semolina
    6oz of fishmeal
    2oz of Robin Red
    plus mixed spices

The flavours consist of:

5mls of Megaspice (Rod Hutchinson)
    5mls of Seedbait Sense Appeal(Rod Hutchinson)
    12 drops RH1 Oil (Rod Hutchinson)

20 mls of Fish feed inducing oil (local trout farmer)

The semolina can be purchased from any pasta factory or large bakery. I pay about 9 UK pounds for a 25 KG (55 pounds) sack The fishmeal can be purchased from any animal feed suplier(about 10 UK pounds) per sack. Get the one intended for animal feed only ! I use chilean fish meal which is a mixture of anchovy and sardine. Robin Red is a brand name for a UK birdfood from Haiths of cleethorpes,Lincs. It contains spices and red peppers amongst other things. It is used as a colour food for show birds , when they eat it, it colours their plumage!. The fish feed inducing oil is put only in the hookbaits in winter. When the temperature drops the oil tends to thicken (increased viscosity). The atractors are added to 6 (size 2) eggs then the powder is added until you make a dough that no longer sticks to your fingers. Be careful as to not add too much powder , if it is too dry you wont be able to roll it . You can either roll the balls out by hand (which takes a long time!) or you can use a bait gun which extrudes the bait in one long sausage of a set diameter (i use 14ml baits) The sausages are then rolled out using rolling tables (Gardner tackle) The baits are then boiled for 2mins , normally about 100 at a time to keep the water at boiling point. The baits are left out to dry on towels or cloth (i leave them overnight before freezing them or using them) You can normally get 2 pounds (1 KG) of baits per 6 egg mix The hook baits (18mls) are rolled around cork balls to make them pop-up. I dont use critically balanced baits , in fact i overweight them quite a bit as i feel it helps the rig i use work better!

I know that some people reading this will not be in the UK so here is some places to look for bits and pieces.Health food shops are my number one choice as they have allsorts of good things from Soya flour(cooked)which is a good bulk ingredient (rolls slightly better than semolina but makes a softer bait!) , dried brewers yeast, use as an atractor with only 1-2oz per pound of dry mix. Look for spices such as paprika and cinammon.If you can get hold of maize meal , this is a fantastic bulk ingredient as it makes the baits very dence (good for flowing rivers!) and also very hard (stops the little fish pecking at the baits!) A lot of the harder ready made boilies contain Maize meal and whey proteins to make them selective towards carp. Also look for atractors such as the essential oils used in aromatherapy. Some are good ,some are rubbish.One of the best is Black Pepper followed by Geranium .Use these oils in very small amounts, normally 12-24 drops per 6 eggs. Sometimes health food shops carry a bodybuilding section. Look for liquid amino acids. They normally say on the bottle extract of liver and spleen. If you cant get that , liquid liver is just as good. Use these at 5-20mls per 6 egg mix depending on concentration. Infact powdered liver is an excellent atractor in its own right but very expensive. Its best used at 1oz per pound of dry mix. Local pet shops have excellent bits and pieces from Birdfoods(softfoods made from eggs and spices are best) or various cat and dog snacks that can be ground and mixed in place of the fishmeal. Infact a lot of the (fishy) cat snacks contain fishmeal! Also have a look at some of the snacks that float as you can catch carp on the surface with these. Also dont forget to look out for all the various seeds and pulses that can be used while you are there. Supermarkets are very underrated but contain loads of great carp baits and ingredients. Toasted sesame oil is a great atractor put in at 15mls per 6 egg mix. Look in the spice section theres some great bits and pieces there. They normally sell bottles of flavor, use only small amounts 3-5 mls per 6 egg mix . (if you use too much it will act as a repellent!) When using flavors a certain amount of experimentation is needed to get the best result. Always start on the low side then increase the dosage a little bit every trip. But be careful as more flavor does not equal more carp! I hope this has given you a few ideas , I shall be going into more detail when i have the time.

If you want to make cheap boilies use yellow semolina as the bulk ingredient. The best place to get it from is any PASTA factory or anywhere they make pasta (not ITALY !) They will normally sell you a 25KG (55 pounds) sack for very little money just to get rid of you. One tip is dont tell them what you want it for or you could spend the next three years of your life explaining about carp fishing !

If you cant get hold of semolina the next best thing is SOYA FLOUR, the cooked variety seems by far the best! Health food shops and supermarkets are a great places for bits and pieces. The spices such as paprika and cinnamon are excellent aditives If you mix 10oz of semo with 6oz of soya flour with eggs, flavor and

colour, you will get boilies just like ready mades :) By adjusting this mix with bits and pieces you can make any type of mix you require.

Black Pepper is an esential oil , you can get it from any health food shop.(its used in aromatherapy!) Its quite expensive , about 7 dollars for a tiny bottle but you dont use much so it will make at least 10 mixes of Boilies.

Hope this is of use?

16. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    WOW what an awesome post!
    There selling more and more over here now and you can order alot of stuff from http://www.wackerbaits.com/ and Fox is IMO the leader in Carp tackle http://www.foxint.com/
    I belive that the baitrunners were made for Carpfishing..and what an awesome fight

17. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Yeah I use the Shimano Longcast Bait runners, they are IMO the best reels Ive used, with strong bailarm and spiggot but they are a bit expensive

Im in the market for some Techniums XT10000, they have no bait runner and look the kiddy

Fox are about to bring out a range of carp reels to rival the big pits at under £100.

18. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I have a Mitchel 600 fullrunner witht he lights and the flashing lights and I have it on a stiffer rod from Brentwood in the UK
    I posted above about my PVC rod pod heres the link to it http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740 the only thing Id change would be the price I said to build it.. I ment to say $1.60 not 160 lol.. it works very well

19. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Kroger sells this and Soya flour kinda pricey but the act differntly in water,,ie breakdown time and atractivenes to the carp

Ive also had great luck with packbaits aswell

20. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I like your DIY pod, you can use other crumb and flour instead of soya, corn flour is good, I also forgot to mention that I put my egg shells in my wet mix , the potassium content in the shell helps keep the bait fresh for longer, something to do with salt, and if you are rolling large amounts boil and dry them then freeze them till your ready to use them.