Carp in Winter?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by ronlyn239, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Pretty cold here in Okie Land, and I am looking for some fresh carp for catfish cut bait. Anyone here tried catching them in the winter?

There are any number of small ponds here in NE OK I can try, but was curious if there is any point going fishing for them if they don't bite well in cold weather.

2. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Ron, the ole saying is they gotta eat don't they?:eek:oooh: I never have fished for them this early but I would think in a small body of water they would be a lot easier to find and catch!!?? Good Luck

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Never tried catching them during the winter, but it's not a bad idea. I'd assume they go deep, but carp are very tolerant of cold water, so if you find them, you should be able to work them over good. If there in ponds it should be just a matter of probing around and trying different baits untill you find what depth they are holding at and what kind of baits they'll want.

4. JOEcatter

JOEcatter New Member

State:
    davenport iowa
    i have caught a few carp in winter here on the mississippi, got there attention by throwing crackers in the water to start them feeding then started glueing small hooks to the crackers lol :smile2: