Carp in the Cold ?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Bacardipr05, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have heard or been told carp prefer cooler temperatures. In your experience is this true and if so how cool(cold) we talking about here. For that matter is anyone still attempting to land one....

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In Tn where I am it is still getting to the temps it should be so I am still going at it. When the water gets real cold they still bite but metablolism drops and they consume less. They should be gourging themselves the last few weeks before the temps drop. I also saw an article on ice fishing for carp so it is never too cold. If there is a warm water discharge (Steam Plant) near you it should be a hotspot come winter.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks for the info, been wondering that myself as its my first year of serious carp fishing.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Same here ozzy weather isn't cooperating mid 50's i think from here on out. Was hoping for a few days more of at least mid 60's weather. We already had an "extended summer" though so I guess its asking for too much.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Bacardipr05 , I cant wait for it to cool down. Today was mid 80's, last year at this time was in the 50's.

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    the big buffs 60+ pounds are just starting to bite good in the rivers from what my friends say....should be good fishin till the end of december.

7. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i seen a discovery channel show i think. and they said the carp was the only fish who metabolisim doesn't slow down. that they are just as active as summer.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    For the most part from other fisherman I had always heard they love this type of weather....It's in the 50's down here Ozzy and they talking about wet snow already.......:crazy:

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Never targeted carp when it was cold outside, but have seen carp thrash in the shallows(<6") while duck hunting in Jan.

10. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Some of my best carp have come during the winter. If I am going after carp, I usually have my tent and portable heater to set up. There is nothing like setting your poles and bite alarms in the fridgid cold, then sliding into the warm tent and bag waiting on the alarms.

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    deer hunting on the river i seen a school of about 35 carp near a fallen tree. the weather outside was about 35-40 degrees, dont know how cold the water temp was ( i know it was to cold for me, because water got into my waders)

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i catch bigger carp during the wintertime. i think it's because i use the same tactics for trout you would use for carp- throw out a couple handfuls of garlic corn for chum, then fish with biscuit dough. a lot of times i have to chop a hole in the ice to fish, and i pick up some nice channels this way as well.

13. FishinPhil

FishinPhil New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've caught them on jig & minnow while targeting walleyes in the dead of winter before. Sometimes they are snagged, but sometimes they have eaten the jig.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yup we catch carp threw the ice sometimes. they dont fit in a 6in. hole very well though.lol

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Can imagine a 20lb carp going thru a 6 inch hole.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Work is very busy in the winter so fishing is at a minimum. My next adventure will be X-Mass Day.

17. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    sometimes its hard not to catch them threw the ice :crazy:

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well X-mass didnt work out, the wind was blowing about 30 MPH. I was the only fool out there giving it a try though.

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah I hear that I didn't want to be the only fool outside myself thats why I decided not to. They closed down for the year(until march i think) one of my favorite spots around here.