Carp in pond

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by slowboat, Jul 9, 2007.

1. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is a pond in front of my apt. and you can see carp around 24 inches. They look pretty big. I have fished the shallow end where they are swiming
    I have tried corn, corn meal worms packaged carp bait. I have fished early in the morning, mid afternoon and late at night and have not gotten any action. I fished on the bottom, fished with a float, the carp actually hit the flot with it tailI am using very light equipment. My wife says they must think I am using bluegill bait because thats all I catch. I would love to hit one of them big ones.

2. sedwick

sedwick New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If you can see them, i'd get a big trebble hook and snag one.

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    getcha a treble hook, cover it with bread and just let it float if it starts to sink let it sink...dont use a weight and them carp will come munch on it

4. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Hal:

ChannelKatman's advice is pretty accurate. I think the treble hook's a bit OTT, but that's JMHO.

Go to the pond making sure that the current's drifting AWAY from you, use rod, reel, line, hook & that's ALL. Flick the breaded hook out, let it drift out to where you can see the carp & sooner or later you'll get a take (trust me).

This is most effective during warmer weather.

The accompanying video's a bit "sketchy" to say the least (I think it was filmed in HOLLAND)

But it's the best example of it I could find.

Tight lines & Good Luck!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ_uD0uiHsE

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    hehehe...i knew that guy was smart lol

6. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for all the input. I have tried all sugestions and the carp are still swimming around. I am having trouble getting the bait past the blurgills and turtles. Them bluegills have eaten everything I have used for bait. There fun to catch on real light equipment but I am really looking forward to one of them big carp. There have to be at least five of them over 2' long.

7. fisherdude14

fisherdude14 New Member

State:
    illinois
    through a handful of corn in there and take the smallest hook u have and put like 3 peices on and hhold on tight

8. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    get u a peice of millet or etc. and put it on a hook and put u a slip sinker (sinker that slides) and fish on the bottom and the reason u get a slip weight is because if they feel the weight they might spit it out.:cool2:

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    im no animal rights activist but i would not use trebel hooks for carp or any fish for that matter,reason being is if the line breaks when your playing them, the treble could pin the mouth close causing them to not being able to feed. as for catching them in the pond your talking about, i would try either bread or cook up some dough bait.if the the bluegill are that bad,then trying bait like packbait will be useless. and like i said please treat these fish with respect, dont try snagging them.and alway try to use an unhooking mat. thanks

10. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    I had the same thing at a house we had. I found out that bread is the way to go. The kids would feed the ducks an MAN you talking about a carp feeding frenzy.

11. kornfishin

kornfishin New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thats funny. i never have trouble catching carp. thats all i seem to catch!:angry:

but if you want one, listen. i fish at broad river in boiling springs, NC. there is a pier that i go fishing from. i use four (4) rods at a time. i use a 20, 30, and 50 lb test line. my hooks are done a little differently than one might expect. i put my hooks on first, usually 2 hooks up the line (so that they dont sit in the mud), and i put a good amount of weight on it. about 1 gram or so. i use corn and worms as bait. i cast out each rod in a different direction. up the river, down the river, strait out, and WAY out. then i sit and wait FOREVER! usually about 15-45 minutes sometimes. but i always EVENTUALLY catch a carp. in the past month ive caught a 15 pound carp, a 10 pounder, a 3-4 pounder, and a REALLY big softshell snapper. (that snapper almost sent me home for good)