Carp identification

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by daredevle, Jul 30, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    there isa fish in a pond i fish that is ovr 4 feet long its gray with vertical black stripes there are other carp in this pond but i dont know what this is please help

2. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    probably a grass carp. people put them in ponds to clean out the algae. they can get pretty big. they usually hang out around the bank. its best to leave them alone as they serve a purpose.

4. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what could i use to catch grass carp dough? or what

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some of you may not believe me, but it's the god's honest truth. 2 Weeks ago, i caught a 20# grass carp on a trotline useing cut bait. They guys that I was with didn't know what it was, but I know that's what it was. I also caught one on a grasshopper when I was a kid. Normally, they are very difficult to catch, and if that's what it is, you should probably leave it alone. I will say however, that carp don't have stripes.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    to catch a grass carp take some caned spinish,some banana mix throughly.take some wheatys crushthem real good.mix a little wheatys with spinish and bananas ,repeat till they make a good firm but not hard ball.use with treble hook or a hair hook rig.