Carp Help

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Wallbass, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its been years since I fished for Carp. Mom used a #10 or#8 hook with Wheaties about the size of a dime. I fish for Cats and do well but should I use the same Med/Hev action and circle hooks on them? What size line Spinning or Bait caster ECT.? Thanks Jeff :confused2::smile2:

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've got a medium action spinning set up with 20lb test on it when I'm going after big carp. I've never tried circle hooks when carp fishing, I usually use a #2 or a 1/0 hook with a wheaty ball the diameter or a quarter. Completely cover the bottom half of the hook with the wheaty ball and kind of mold it around the hook, that will help keep it on there if fishing current. I also sometimes fish for carp in ponds using my light spinning tackle and 6lb test...that's also a lot of fun. I've caught them up to 16lbs on my 6lb test.

4. FishyFilly

FishyFilly New Member

State:
    virginia
    carp are simple it just takes patience, some split shots or a fish finder rig with an egg sinker. #6 hook and some sweet corn. Throw some corn near your hook and your all set.

5. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use a #6 or #8 octopus hook, sometimes I go bigger, depending on the size of the fish I'm seeing. I try to use as little weight as I can get away with, and bait with sweet corn. Wheaties work pretty good, too, as does oatmeal.

I have two rods that I use for carpin'. One's a 6' ultralight with 6# mono, the other is a 7' medium heavy with 20# braid. The big rod is mostly for bigger fish in snaggy water, or places where I have to cast a mile. The ultralight is for fun.

Hooking into a good carp on an ultralight is a battle you won't soon forget.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use mainly ultralights for carp, with 6# an-40. it's a blast, but i would suggest turning the drag down a bit. i use #12 trout trebles and no weight. the reason for the treble is that i use carp for bait- they are not getting released! i use biscuit dough for bait and tear them up all year long.