Carp graveyard

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dusky, Jul 29, 2006.

1. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    It started last Sunday, 7-23, when I went out to my trusty 'ol Cedarville Reservoir. The first sign was at the launch. Smelled it, but couldn't see it. As I drove out of the channel, I counted four or five dead carp. The rest of the day I counted another dozen or so floating around. No big deal, must've been some bow hunters upstream lately, I thought. Today I went back, it's been a week, and counted over a hundred dead carp floating around. I didn't even see them all because they were up under the shoreline brush, back in the bays, etc. And this is after a week with good current. And I saw only maybe a three mile portion of river. As I was casting for shad, I pulled up a carp. It was sluggish. (you know how spastic those critters can get!) And the whole one side of it was bloodied and puffy, as if by some infection or parasite or something. ? At this point I really started wondering. Plus, I didn't see any signs of puncture wounds from an arrow in any of the fish, but any holes could have been swollen shut. Then, I saw two other carp, and they looked sluggish also. Then I saw a dead softshell turtle. If it's a parasite or chemical that kills them, then why not the other fish? Did the turtle eat a contaminated carp, or was it killed by a choked hook or prop or something? Do carp just die off for no apparent reason sometimes? I hope it doesn't happen my to my slimy whiskered friends. I reported it to the DNR because I have never seen anything like this. Have any of you?

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Why would you blame bowfisherman when you see a carp dead??

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thats some wierd stuff. I would probably pack up and leave if i saw that...

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    It would my Guess that the DNR is killing off the lake either that or some sort of chemical has gotten in the lake to cause the fish kill. Just my thoughts Sir. You might want to check with the Fish and Game people also to see if they know whats up. J.D.Straka

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't think he is blaming anyone, he is talking about a kill of unknown reason in our waterways, things like this can get out of controll and maybe by reporting it he did us all a favor. You bowhunt for fish so I would think he is providing you a service by trying to get to the bottom of the kill. He even said he didn't see any arrow wounds.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I would call the DNR and see whats up. If it is a parasite you might not want to eat any fish you catch for awhile.
    Bill

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Maybe he seen your signature at the bottom of your post, LOL. :tounge_out:

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I read my signature and it doesn't say anything about throwing them back in the water??? Try reading it again...:roll_eyes: C'mon

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    What do you do with them, I hear they make good cut bait but I've never tried it. :smile2:

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have several people that take them. Most of them go to a few pig farmers, the pigs love the protein. I use them for fishing bait and have a few guys that want them for making trapping lures and bait.

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Do you have any luck using them for bait? I figure its been so hot out it might be a good time to catch some. It seems like when I was a kid thats mostly when I caught them.

12. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Yes, I do. I cut them up and jug with them. Use some in my friends turtle traps.

13. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Thanks for the info, if I can catch one I'll give it a try. :smile2:

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    havent been there in a few weeks dusky, but i have fished it all my life,and never seen a carp die off like that yet. please post any responce you get from the dnr.

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would say contact the DNR immediately. It sounds like a parasite or virus. They are probably aware of this already, but just double check. Anytime you see any number (more than 3) dead fish of a certain species it is time to call the DNR and have their biologist check it out. The sooner somebody alerts them of a problem the better chances of them being able to handle it accordingly and hopefully not kill off a good fishery.

16. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dusky,

I was up there yesterday on "unofficial" business -- took my boat out for a spin and I too saw the dead carp. Saw the same thing you saw...lots of dead carp but nothing else. That's a bit selective for a chemical spill, usually a spill will kill other species (especially those less tolerant to pollution than carp: crappie, gills, bass, etc.) as well. Something else I noticed, all the carp were roughly the same size. Say 15 (maybe 20) inches. Is that what you saw? More than likely the carp got hit with a virus. Not a terribly uncommon thing. The DNR will probably check into it but won't be real concerned since it was only carp that were killed.

Someone mentioned that the DNR might be killing off the lake. Not so. If that was the case, the reservoir would be drained way down. Also, Cedarville would probably never be considered for a renovation because the DNR could never rotenone the entire watershed so efforts to eliminate carp or gizzard shad in the reservoir would be futile!

Dusky, thanks for keeping you eyes open!

17. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    By the way, Dusky, welcome to the BOC! This is a great sight full of great info and great people!

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Santee/Cooper Lakes experienced a similar carp die off a few years ago. They took samples and sent them to a fish pathologhy lab. The really key thing there is that it's almost all carp that are dieing, not other fish. Here it turned out that it was a fish disease that is specific to carp/goldfish type critters. Really wasn't anything that anybody could do aabout it, but at least it's good to know what's going on.

19. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Mr. Howard,
    Thank you for contacting us about the dead carp and turtle near the Cedarville Dam.
    Our Law Enforcement division is taking the lead role in the investigation of this fish kill. I have shared your careful observations with our District 3 fisheries biologist, as well as discussing it with my boss. The DNR is trying to arrange for some fish samples to be tested at Purdue. The city utility is also testing water quality. At this point, we're leaning toward a naturally occurring virus found in Carp.
    Let me thank you for the detailed information you provided on our website. Many times we would not know about fish kills without the help of concerned citizens like you. I will keep you updated when we have an answer about the cause.
    Thanks,
    Jennifer
    Jennifer Campbell-Allison, Restoration Biologist
    Indiana Department of Natural Resources
    Div. of Fish & Wildlife, Fisheries Section

20. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Carp make great cut bait. I dream of the day mr. fat cat chomps down and runs with one of those whopper bloody carp heads. Gotta be big to get one of them in the mouth.