Carp, good bait, huh

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by 32#fishnamedjoe, Jun 29, 2007.

1. 32#fishnamedjoe

32#fishnamedjoe New Member

State:
    Indiana
    went fishin last night and the bait stealers were in full force so when i caught a small grass carp i cut him into chunks and the catfish loved it i did'nt know that. Ive allways used night crawlers. will they eat all kinds of fish?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Any kind of live or fresh cut bait. Flatties prefer live but will eat both. With crawlers you'll have a hard time with bait stealers. Channels love cut bait and stinky baits.

3. Al Duncan

Al Duncan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    carp is real good bait,I like to scale any bait such as carp,bream,shad,ect.cut into small fillets with skin still on carp is oily, bloody and tough.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i just use a common car cut into peices...dont scale em or anything just cut a chunk off and the fish like it...strange as it may seem we have acutally caught 1 carp that was about 35 pounds on a piece of cut carp...dont know how but it mustof been hungary

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    If I can't get shad or bluegill (which can be tough in the winter) I thaw out some Asian carp fillets and use that for bait. I don't think it's as good as fresh shad, but it's pretty good!

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cut carp is one of my top four baits. i use shad, bream, bullheads, and cut carp. if you can catch the little 6-10 inch common carp, they make awesome flathead bait as well.
    on the carp, i always scale it as i have had a carp scale stop my circle from connecting a couple of times.

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    did the same thing this weekend, carp works awesome!!!! we caught 3 common carp in the cast net, fileted 2 of them let the smallest one go, we filleted them real good, there scales are like aurmor, helped keep the bait on the hook, and what we didnt use for bait was used for chum

8. channelcatgod887

channelcatgod887 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    A buddy of mine let a bunch go in a small farm pond, needless to say it got overrun. We used a cast net to catch the little ones bluegill size or smaller. 2 or 3 of'em on hook does good. Works for all kinds of cats. Good luck man

9. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Be careful using that cut carp, you're liable to lose a rod if you dont have it tied down. :wink:

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Like Jorge says, if you don't scale them, be sure to check your hook for and scales stuck on the point. Also, when you hook them, hook as little as possible so the point is well clear of the bait and the bait can't turn on the hook and get caugt on the point. I've lost fish because the carp chunk turned and the hook hooked back into the bait instead of the fish.

11. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have caught carp on a trot line before and cut them up and used them for bait it worked great and cheap too.:big_smile:

12. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    cut asian carp works pretty good if its fresh. alot of really big cats have been caught on cut carp

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    They work well as cut bait for channels and (flats sometimes). If you want to use them effectively , SCALE them before you fillet them. That means run your knife backwards aginst the grain of the scales to remove them. Then proceed to fillet the fish. Sometimes you can use a live bait with some of the scales removed from each side before casting out.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use carp fillets in the winter sometime but not Grass Carp because thats illegal here. The SCDNR would have a cow possible two if they caught you using them here.