Carp for Flathead Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have heard of people using carp for flathead bait. I was just wondering if anyone has tried using it and if they had any luck doing so.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have landed some flatheads on goldfish that close enough to a carp for you? There's a few places around here that I know of where I can get small carp but I just cut them and fish for blues.

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Yes they are really good bait. The only problem is catch 1 small enough to use, I try and get them out of the river I fish but we never/rarly catch 1 under 5 pounds. But if you can find them about 8-12 inches long they are good bait. I only use them live. I'm sure they would make good cut bait.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes they are VERY hard to find small, the grow very fast! 5-10 inch carp are my #1 fav live bait. i have used them up to 2lbs before and caught fish. a very good cut-bait also, very oily.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The only place I've been able to catch baby carp regulary is in the shallowest part of the river. 1 to 3 feet, they seem to congregate there with the baby channels and bluegill.I'm assuming the bigger fish don't want to be that shallow during the day. And yes they make an excellent flathead bait, tough and feisty.

6. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Absolutly!!! one of the best flathead baits you can get.I seine them out of small feeder creeks but they are very fast and tend to jump over the net when cornerd. Also ask your local bait shop to get them for you.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree. Little carp are very hard to find...we see very few even when we're doing fish surveys in rivers & streams.

Check your state regulations. Live carp are illegal to use here in Indiana

8. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have used little 4' gold fish but i was just wondering where you guys get the big 7-10' ones.THANKS ALOT!!!!!

9. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Thats something I really want to try this year. I haven't had the luxery of finding any small enough to use as of yet. I think the best bet would be to try and through a cast net on em' ? If not I think goldfish should work as well. Remember you just want something fiesty down there that is going to create a lot of commotion. I am not too worried about its color as long as it resembles something natural.

sck