Carp for flathead catfish bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KYfarmer, Jul 17, 2006.

1. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I was getting bait last night with the cast net and caught a bunch of small carp (6-10 inches) I thought they would make good live bait for flats, but I didn't get a hit on them. I did have good luck with live shad. Has anyone had any luck with small carp?

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Iv heard of people catching them and using them as cut bait for blues. Fillet them leave skin on them and cut big chunks off and put it on a hook. Never tried it but someone said it was good bait.

3. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I havn't seen anyone using carp for bait for flatheads. I did see a man catch a 6' lemon shark on a carp head.

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree with the post above cut the carp up dont use it whole for better results

5. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Carp are a really good bait Ive caught flatties on them.They also make good cut bait.

6. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know that a lot of people (including myself) use goldfish and carp are a close relative to goldfish so its not too far a stretch.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Try scaling one side of the carp to get scent out better.. should do the trick...

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We hooked into 20-30# blues using 12-15 inch carp. Never used them live, but I would think it wouldnt be any different than other live fish.

9. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    live carp are second on my list of favorite baits for big flatheads, bullheads are number one

10. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I used them cut last night and caught 2 flatheads, that seemed to do the trick.

11. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Flathead in my avatar came off of a 5 inch carp scaled about an inch on one side hooked between the eyes. Carp have to be the hardiest live bait ive ever used. Hooked between the eyes, ive seen carp remain swimming even after both eyes were totally gone & you could see threw one eye socket & out the other.

On that note i have to say small carp are one of the hardest bait fish to catch reliably. But if i had a choice between gills & carp , carp would get the go head every time. pz

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Earlier in the year I got a 6lb flatty on a 12 inch common carp. The bait was nearly as big as the fish.

~ I use them frequently here in AZ. I cut them if they are too big, or use them whole with big river hooks in they are small: 12" or less.

Great bait.