Carp for Carp

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by aicenbice, Jul 18, 2009.

1. aicenbice

aicenbice New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey all,

this is just a quick post i thought i'd share with everyone. who knew you could catch carp on carp?

last week i was fishing at the iowa river/coralville reservoir dam. i ran out of cut creek chubs, so i saw a guy downstream from me reel in a 2lb carp and bank it. i've heard that carp is great catfish bait so i figured i'd fillet it and give it a shot. about 5 minutes after casting out, my line tightened and my clicker started going crazy. i honestly thought i had a channel cat on, but when i got it up to me, my jaw dropped when i realized that i had a 3-4# carp on. who knew that these things were cannibals? lol. oh well, it was a fun fight, and that's really what i'm after. just thought i'd share.

-Andrew

here's the pic
    http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/aicenbice_2008/?action=view&current=IMG_1097.jpg

2. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Nice catch! I bet that thing put up a fight. Ive never heard of someone catching a carp with cut carp. Thats a first.

3. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Carp are awesome to catch, no matter the size!!

I have caught carp on:

1. Nightcrawler
    2. Chicken Liver
    3. Stink bait
    4. small bluegill (live)
    5. Bass jigs
    and many other things!!!

4. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Yes they will hit a lot of different baits. I like catching them once in awhile, but don't target them. I have always said if a Blue Gill were to get the size of a carp there wouldn't be too many caught due to their fight. Oh, and I like cold water carp, like in the spring, for smoking.

5. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Never heard of that before.......Big question is, did you end up catching any cats on the Carp? :)

6. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Carp is a great bait for cats...And its easily avaliable