Carp for bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jul 20, 2008.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually use goldfish to catch flatheads but I would like to try some carp or bullheads. Any one know where a guy might be able to catch some in the KC area?

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Kinda tough to get them Dale. Gotta try the small creeks that dump into the rivers. Indian Creek by State Line has bullheads in them. Try the deeper holes with some nightcrawlers. As for small carp, Im still trying to find those myself. :big_smile:

3. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    used to catch the darn things all over the place. I did see 'em for sale at the new bait shop at La cygne right off 69 about 2 blocks. I was fishing for channels so I didn't buy any. Next time I'm down there I'll stop in and see how big they are and how much.Tried some goldfish. Had 1 rod out with golfish the entire time we were fishing. Only caught 1 3 lb channel on them. Caught 69 on turkey liver. Kept throwing the goldfish right in the school of surfacing fish. They hardly touched it. Live bait doesn't seem to work so well where I'm fishin.Had live bluegills last time. Nothing touched them.Caught a 17.9 channel last time out.Sorry no digital camera nobody with me on Mondays anyway.Got a couple pics sitting on the bow of my jon boat with a disposable.

4. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was it carp or bullheads that you saw in the new bait shop? I'll be fishing on the Marais des Cygnes river starting Aug 1st for a few days so I'm very interested in buying either one for bait. I'll do a google search and call the bait shop.
    There's a couple of shallow slews next to the river that I'll run my seine through. I might pick up a few perch and carp with any luck.
    Thanks.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you need to get out in the small creeks. I sometimes get kids to catch my bait, especially this type, they love it and it sure makes it easy to get out and catch the cats

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Dale , go to a local lake and get you a bunch of big green sunfish and bluegills. Free, and easy to catch, thats what Ive had my best luck on this season with anyway. :wink:

7. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Dale,

I have had luck on bluegills and bullheads also. they are easy to catch and fun with my little brother, sister, and cousins to catch. They love to do that. Ijust sit back and watch. So bluegills and bullheads is what i will go with. As far as carp, the bait shop here in ST. Joseph sells them along with goldfish. So i am sure there is a bait shop near there that sells them.

8. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've never seen carp in the bait shops here in Kc but I will call around. I like using bluegills for flathead bait but I have to catch them here the week before I go to the river and can't keep them alive for more that two days at best. I'm thinking and hoping I can keep carp and bullheads alive for a longer period if I can seine or catch some here in town. I'm just not having much luck finding a place where they're at. I appreciate everyones help and will keep trying the area creeks.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Dale , you can keep them alive for longer than that. I use this blue stuff , and just make sure to change your water out everyday, and they will live. Ill keep them in a 5 gallon bucket, with a good aerator.

http://www.keepfishalive.com/u2profomula.html

10. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    a good friend of mine troy (spoonfish) caught a blue cat allmost 60 lbs on a big piece of fillet carp so its pretty darn good bait at times he said best right after they spawn . they want a big meal