The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like to use 6-8 inch carp and chad when i can keep them alive but the green sunfish is ok but also hard to keep alive for long distance trips i use a fifty gallon barrel for baite with a bilge pump what do you guys think about baite on my limb lines i even use carp as big as a pound what do you guys and gals think

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the carp are good especially when i limb line but also i use bullhead because they are tough and the gar kinda leave them alone

·
Registered
390 Posts
On the Neosho I normaly use a variety of bait. On trots I my favorite setup is 2 goldfish, 2 bullhead, 2 crawdads all the way down the line. But I rarely have all of these baits at one time. I have had very good luck on lepord frogs when I can catch them. I experement with pretty much everything even baiting a whole trotline with stink bait and worms. On limblines my favorite for big flats is bull head. I have a more than healthy load of them to catch in one of my uncles farm ponds. But when I cant catch them I will settle for 5-6" goldfish.

That livewell setup sounds pretty good. Ill have to try it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the sand toads are great caught alot of channel cats this year on them and hope to catch more this year my wife caught a 10lb channel with a toad and broke her pole record with a 25lb carp this year while trying to catch bullhead for baite

·
Banned
10,913 Posts
I seined a bunch of small carp a few years back, prolly 4 or 5 inches long and they are without a doubt the fish catchinest bait i ever used. They live good in a tank and stay alive till something knocks it off the hook.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i use them alive on a limb line i hook them behind the dorsal fin and on rod and reel thrue the eyes because most flathead ive noticed bite from the head first

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nope i have tried to hook them behind the dorsal fin while rob and reel but sometimes i miss them but thrue the eyes they die quicker but get more hook ups that way

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use black perch (green sunfish) or carp that are 5-10" long and i hook them through the lips, but when i tie my hook on i leave a long tag end and tie a treble hook on it and stick 1 barb of it in the baits tail. since i started rigging this way my bite to hook up ratio has sky rocketed. don't know if this rig is common but if you are missing fish give it a try. i also use this rig on limb lines and lose alot less bait.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
i like to use 6-8 inch carp and chad when i can keep them alive but the green sunfish is ok but also hard to keep alive for long distance trips i use a fifty gallon barrel for baite with a bilge pump what do you guys think about baite on my limb lines i even use carp as big as a pound what do you guys and gals think
I don't know what you do but green sunfish is one of the more hardier fish, easy to keep alive.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Lip and tail double hook up is a good move for baits above a pound, I've always found. Less chance of casting the baitfish off and sort of adds
an insurance hook for when one gets a little nervous and tries to set the
hook a little early.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts