CARP FOR BAIT

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by uttatoo, Feb 17, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i like to use 6-8 inch carp and chad when i can keep them alive but the green sunfish is ok but also hard to keep alive for long distance trips i use a fifty gallon barrel for baite with a bilge pump what do you guys think about baite on my limb lines i even use carp as big as a pound what do you guys and gals think

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    All of the above as well as gold fish for big flatheads.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yeah but i only have luck with them with small flaties

4. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use carp for blues when i can get it.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the carp are good especially when i limb line but also i use bullhead because they are tough and the gar kinda leave them alone

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    On the Neosho I normaly use a variety of bait. On trots I my favorite setup is 2 goldfish, 2 bullhead, 2 crawdads all the way down the line. But I rarely have all of these baits at one time. I have had very good luck on lepord frogs when I can catch them. I experement with pretty much everything even baiting a whole trotline with stink bait and worms. On limblines my favorite for big flats is bull head. I have a more than healthy load of them to catch in one of my uncles farm ponds. But when I cant catch them I will settle for 5-6" goldfish.

That livewell setup sounds pretty good. Ill have to try it.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the sand toads are great caught alot of channel cats this year on them and hope to catch more this year my wife caught a 10lb channel with a toad and broke her pole record with a 25lb carp this year while trying to catch bullhead for baite

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I seined a bunch of small carp a few years back, prolly 4 or 5 inches long and they are without a doubt the fish catchinest bait i ever used. They live good in a tank and stay alive till something knocks it off the hook.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use a throw net and try around dams and low head dams and bridges

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    are you guys hooking your carp like you would a bluegill? i have used them for cut bait but never alive...

11. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    perry & clinton spillways both are overloaded w/ carp

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use them alive on a limb line i hook them behind the dorsal fin and on rod and reel thrue the eyes because most flathead ive noticed bite from the head first

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    hookin em through the eyes dont affect hook set ??

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    nope i have tried to hook them behind the dorsal fin while rob and reel but sometimes i miss them but thrue the eyes they die quicker but get more hook ups that way

15. shadsides

shadsides New Member

State:
    kansas
    I use black perch (green sunfish) or carp that are 5-10" long and i hook them through the lips, but when i tie my hook on i leave a long tag end and tie a treble hook on it and stick 1 barb of it in the baits tail. since i started rigging this way my bite to hook up ratio has sky rocketed. don't know if this rig is common but if you are missing fish give it a try. i also use this rig on limb lines and lose alot less bait.

16. jamminbassplayer

jamminbassplayer New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'll have to try that. I've got a pretty good idea of what you're doing but a drawing or pic might help out a little better

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't know what you do but green sunfish is one of the more hardier fish, easy to keep alive.

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

sounds likr normal flathead bait to me

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i cant beleive you guys only use one hook on bait that big i use two

20. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Lip and tail double hook up is a good move for baits above a pound, I've always found. Less chance of casting the baitfish off and sort of adds
    an insurance hook for when one gets a little nervous and tries to set the
    hook a little early.