carp for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by DELLIS, Sep 21, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    has anyone used carp for bait i have had people tell me they use it but i have tried a few times live and cut but no luck and now there is a bait shop in hamilton selling live carp for bait

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Dan, I have used carp for bait with some limitsd success here in Iowa on the Missouri river. But have hade better luck with cut and live skipjack when I can catch them and cut and live shad. J.D.
    :smile2:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had real good luck this year with live Israeli carp abt 4-6"

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Israeli carp are tough little buggers- I love using them live for striper fishing... only bait I know of I can catch two or three fish off of before they are toast

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I gotta agree with that.Last time out I caught 2 flatties with the same one.First one was abt 10lbs,still had my bait on and was barely kicking so I left him on and threw him back out.About 10-15mins later I had the 22.7lb flattie on.He swallowed the Israeli though.

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Cut carp has been about the hottest bait going around here this past summer for Blues. Not doing so good here lately with it. It's like any thing else you use for bait, sometimes it's what they want and sometimes it isn't. I'd keep trying it if I was you, along with other baits. It's a great bait at times.

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I agree with what Jack just said-excellent advice. I caught a 60 blue this summer on cut carp so I know it is good bait and stays on hook excellent!
    Different times, different baits. Just have to keep mixing it up.

I like having several bait types until thier preference is figured out for that day, week....

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I prefer using oily fish like shap, skipjack, etc. I have, however, used cut carp and bluegill and caught some nice fish.

9. mashunter18

mashunter18 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Iv used the israli carp before. Now common carp, Iv never seen one small.....lol......Always over 8-9".

Anyone ever caught a small common carp??? Never in my cast net have I even caught a small common carp.

10. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    If cut it up into 1 inch chunks and bury it for
    about a week or 2, it makes great channel cat
    bait. lotta stink tho !