carp fishing.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by santeecat12, Feb 1, 2007.

1. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i was wandering can you eat carp i heard you can but it was nasty. also do carp have a mudline in them.also do carp also fight less as they get bigger?if yall answer it would be appreciated,thanks

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Sure you can eat carp.
    Several restaurants around here serve carp steak.
    They are pretty good smoked too.
    The carp we all know was imported to the states as a game fish.They did all too well in rivers around north america.
    A really big carp doesn't fight quite the same as a mid sized one. its more like landing a swimming log.They are a powerful fish though.
    best of luck
    just

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    ok my opinion, I don't really eat junk fish as carp and other sucker family. I caught them but it's fun as rough fighting. well I have seen people kill carps because they said some reason, it caused carps eat other fish's eggs or other damage. well sometimes if too many carps in river or lake, I would threw them on shore and let turkey vutlures or other animals eat them. but someday I can let them go but not often. the big carps still rough fighting as while.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've eaten several carp growing up, but all have been smoked. You want to heat smoke them, otherwise the do come out a little oily. You want to cook them in ways that allows them to drain well. I've heard you can do them on the grill to, which would be interesting.

Like any fish, the water it lives in makes a lot of difference as to the overall fish itself. I know the big river carp back in Iowa the deal with the current all the time and are on sandy/rock bottom creeks and rivers, have less of a mudline and always fight like there is no tomorrow. In lakes and slow rivers, they tend to not fight as hard, and calm down more as they get bigger, relying on their shear weight, like pulling in a log. Also, lakes tend to have more muck bottoms, and the carp from such ares tend to be muddier.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I know that you can eat a carp but I'm sure there is an optimum size requirement though, Also I hear that they must be purged (put in fresh clean water to purify them)[I don't know if thats true though] and since I let everything go anyway thats not an issue! I love to catch carp on a boile rig and they are indeed great fun to land. I'll put up a picture of the one the wife caught.
    Funny story too,... I went to take a wiz and she noticed a tuggin' on MY line and pulled er' in... So I guess she caught it huh? LOL

Attached Files:

6. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    when i was younger me and a friend use to go to lake erie and catch carp for his dad he would smoke them it wasnt bad......now as for them not fighting as much when they get bigger i have to say they fight just as much but now im fishing in a river...i have a video here i was out catfishinf and hooked into a carp that was about 15lbs and it fought like crazy

7. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    thank yall for answering my questions now i might eat some carp:smile2: