Carp Fishing - UK Style

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Peter Webber(UK Angler) on April 3, 2003

Hi guys

Heres my first posting on carp fishing UK style, I'll be adding to it every other day if you guys think this is something you would be interested in.

If there is something on here you don't understand please let me know and I'll do my best to explain it for you.

In the Uk we do a lot of baiting up to get the carp in the area of where we are fishing. A good way to do this and one I think you guys could do is to use ingreadiance that you can find in most stores ( I found Wal-Mart to be a good place while over there). Heres a list of the sort of thing to look out for;

crushed oats
    bird seeds
    bread crumbs
    powdered milk
    custard powder ( might be hard to find)
    chick peas
    sweetcorn
    maize (whole and crushed)
    trout pellets
    molasses

These are just a few things you could use in your grounbaits. The bird seed needs to be soaked for 24 hours to soffen up.

The idea is to mix these up together and adding water to be able to make a ball that will stay together until it hits the lake/river bottom then breaking up.

A good idea I think might work is if you know a place that has carp but is new to you is to make this up at home and freeze the balls of groundbait. Then spend about a week baiting up the swim before you intend to fish. Make sure you include what ever baits you are going to use in with the groundbait.

Some baits that work well over here other then boilies are;

worms ( my fav)
    tined meats (spam,luncheon meat etc)
    sweetcorn
    paste baits ( will go in to this later)
    maggots
    bread (great for fishing on the top of the water free lined)

Next i'll tell you how to make a paste bait and home made boilies as well as how to fish the "Method" ( my fav style for carp), i'll even try to tell you how to make your own method feeder.

2. Whistler

State:
    TN

Hi guys

Here my "how to" for paste baits/boilies fishing.

A simple paste bait can be made with just trout pellets. The way I do this is to grind the pellets down in a food mixer ( might be a good idea to get the ok from wife/G,friend first ) Once the pellets are grindered down to a powder just add eggs and mix untill you get a soft but firm dough like mixture.
    you can use water instead of eggs but this will beak down fast, with the egg mix it will stay on the hook during casting better.

Another good paste bait is made using tined cat food ( I use the fish flavours)), not the chunks but you want the mash and flour. as above mix the two adding the flour to the cat food untill you get the right mixture. You can even use Weetabix instead of flour for this.

Tinned sardines can be made into a paste by crushing them with a fork and adding plain flour and one beaten egg until a paste putty is formed.

Rather then using expensive flavours in your pastes, packet soups and source mixes work as well if not better. Just add 1 packet to the intended paste. Cheese source powder and oxtail soup are very good used on their own or mixed together in a paste.

Try ready made packet pastry, Stilton cheese and plain flour makes a brilliant paste. This can get better as it gets older and start to smell a bit.

A couple of mixes for you;

8ozs fishmeal.
    6ozs fullfat soya flour.
    7ozs semolina.
    1oz wheat gluten
    5 med eggs
    15ml cod-liver oil
    -------------------- -----

6oz fullfat soya flour
    7ozs semolina.
    2oz baby milk
    1oz wheat gluten.
    5 med eggs

The food stores are a vast warehouse of paste making ingredients. Once the basics have been learned, the possibilities are endless. I found tones of stuff in places like Wal-Mart that can be used in bait making.

You can also use food colorings to color your pastes and there is also a whole range of flavours you can use in your stores. The idea is to try a few and see what works.

Now for "Boilies" what you can do with any of the pastes you have made it to turn them in to boilies and you can do this by rolling out your paste in to balls around 10-20 mm while heating up a pan of water until boiling.
    drop the balls of paste in to the water and leave for around 90 sec's. Take them out and place on a rack to dry. A mesh type rack is good for this as it will let the boilies dry out better. These can then be used or frozen for later use.

Method fishing to follow soon.

3. Whistler

State:
    TN

"Method" fishing

LINE

Reel line for "Method" fishing needs to be 6lb min breaking strain, 10lb is ideal, you can use braid but it'not needed with "Method" fishing because you are fishing with your line tight and because of the type of bites you get. There are no hard and fast rules as to what line you should use, it's more down to what make you have faith in.

Line for the hooklengths should be of a lighter breaking strain then the reel line but not too light, around 6lb is about right. The length of the hooklength will vary with how well the fish are feeding, this can mean a hooklength from around 3-10in is needed and it some times pays to bury your hooklength in the groundbait. As with all fishing a low diameter/visibility line helps.

FEEDERS

There are many types of "Method" feeder on the market and all work it's down to personal choice as to what one you use. They come in various sizes and weights, the heavier ones being ideal for long casting with heavy gear and the smaller ones for close in work on lighter tackle.

HOOKS

A good stong hook is needed when "Method" feeding for carp ( remember you can use the "Method for other fish as well ) like the Mustad eyed method feeder barbless hooks, these rang in sizes from 6-16 and are ideal for most "Method" fishing.

ROD RESTS

When "Method" fishing your rod rest are just as important as your rods etc, this is because of the way you are fishing ( quivertip style) and the bites from the carp can be hard and fast if you don't have the right sort of rod rests you stand a good chance of your rod being pulled in the water. There are some good "Method" feeder rest out anone of the best is the Seymo adjustable carp rest, this when used with a good butt rest will stop any carp from draging your rod in but make sure your drag is set so if need be the fish can take line.

What is a Method feeder?

A Method feeder is a frame feeder ( most are inline ) that is fished with a short hooklength. The groundbait is packed around the feeder and the frame is such that it helps hold the groundbait together. Using a short hookleingth ensures your bait is always close to the feeder/groundbait.

How do I use the Method feeder?

There are two main ways to using a Method feeder:
    1, Fixed rig style 2, Free running.

1)Fixed rig.
    With the fixed rig the fish picks up the bait , feels the weight of he feeder and bolts. You MUST use a stronger main line then hooklength 9 as you should with any setup ) with this rig to limit the chance of the main line breaking while playing a fish and the fish left towing a feeder around.
    Mainlines should be around 8lb ( no less then 6lb ) and hooklengths should be around 5lb ( no less then 4lb for carp ).
    Bites with this Method can be pull rounds and drop backs.

2)Free running.
    With the free running rig the fish is able to pick the bait up and start moving off before it realizes something is not right. Sit your rod at a 45 degree angle to your line and stay close to the rod as bites can be hard and fast with this rig. Make sure you have goo strong Method rod rests too.

Where can I use the Method?

The Method is ideal for still waters and is mainly used for carp fishing but it can be used for other freash water fish.

What baits can I use with it?

Any baits can be used with the Method feeder inclueding hair riged baits.

What groundbaits should I use?

Because the Method is so popular most of the groundbait makers have at lest one or two Method groundbaits in the shops. When you get used to the type of groundbaits used for the Method you can start making your own and try to give your self an edge over others.

Can I add maggots to the groundbait?

Not live ones NO.
    If it wiggles or moves then leave it out as it will break your groundbait up too soon and might not even last the cast.
    You can add dead maggots to the groundbait though.

I'm using an inline Method feeder and I keep getting knocks/bites but when I strike there's nothing there WHY?

Firstly you should never stike when fishing the Method, the fish will hook it's self. The knocks sound like false bite due to fish attacking your groundbait.
    With this Method you will get knocks showing on the rod tip, just watch and wait. What you are after is for the rod to be pulled around not little knocks. When the rod is pulled round THEN lift the rod DON'T STRIKE and play the fish

A home made "Method" feeder groundbait

Bag of crushed oats (2kg)
    1 tin sweetcorn ( liqudised )
    1 cup cooked hemp
    1 cup crushed trout pellets
    1 cup baby milk powder
    Mix this up then add:
    1 tin whole sweetcorn
    2 cups sml trout pellets
    you can also add bird seed to this mix.

Comming up how to make a "hair rig" and "Method setup"

4. Whistler

State:
    TN

Ok guys here's how to make a hair rig and a pic of a few method feeders that I use.

How to tie a knotless knot. Note the side of the hook the line go through the eye this is important.

[​IMG]

The length of the hair will be determined by the size of the bait you are using and once on the hair the bait should sit just away from the bend in the hook. You can use a small piece of grass to keep the bait on the hair by sliding it throught the small loop in the hair after puting the bait on then sliding the bait down holding the piece of grass in place.

A few method feeders i use.

[​IMG]

Here's the basic setup for the "Method" feeder.

[​IMG]

1) Main line ( 8lb min )
    2) Method feeder
    3)Bead ( soft beads a great for this rig here)
    4) swivel
    5)Hook link (3-8in) This needs to be a lighter breaking strain then the main line.

You can use the hair rig on the method feeder rig and using the hair rig is a great way to use a number of baits including soft baits like meat or hard baits like boilies.

After packing your groudbait around the feeder you can fold your hook length in to the groundbait, but if only using a short hook length this will not be needed.