Carp Fishing in Arizona

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by PolishNorbi, Jun 18, 2007.

1. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am looking for spots to go carp fishing from the shore. My uncle and I would always go to Catfish Point and pull out rather nice size carp but since the fire up there the bite hasn't been the same. I am looking for new places to fish for carp.

Long time Lurker, First time poster. Thanks in advance

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    east side of windy hill on roosevelt lake az. ANYWHERE on bartlett lake. THe boat launches and beaches on canyon lake, az (they are huge), and all of the urban lakes, and dont forget the action on the canal. We usually catch more than we want here!!! Welocme to the BOC

3. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thank You,

I used to do a lot of carp fishing in poland and ran into here when I was visiting lakes and saw a few hispanics catching nice sized ones. I haven't fished anywhere besides there. I was always succesful but with three small dinky carp out there & no good solid pulls I want to change spots.

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    well let me tell you I OFTEN fish for carp, both as bait and for the fun of their strength!! If you want size and quantity, I would suggest canyon lake and roosevelt lake. Bartlett would be a close second, and probably has the best shore access. But I usually catch carp WAY over 20+ lbs in both canyon and roosevelt!! I try to catch the small ones most of the time for FLATHEAD bait, but always seem to get into some really nice ones. THis sunday morning I found a spot on the salt river as it enters roosevelt where there was some small creek entering, it had carp just lined up in the inlet, I pitched corn to them for well over a hour and caught about 15 of them in the range of 5-15 lbs!! The lakes are full of em, and NOBODY here fishes for them, you should have them ALL to yourself. You should also try the urban lakes around the valley that is a closer option for you as well. Good fishing and drop me a line sometime and maybe we can take the boat out and fish for some monsters. I always enjoyed fishing for them. I bet you have some great bait receipes from home that these carp would just die for!!:big_smile:

5. Kubush

Kubush New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    For quantity I would definetly stick with Catfish Point. I was there last week catfishing and have never seen so many carp secluded into one area. They may not be monsters but catch rates can be amazing simply using corn and a bobber at any depth. It can be a blast using a tiny lite rod as well. Watch for softshell turtles they seem to hit anything.

6. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    east side of windy hill i was there for vacation and landed some nice carp using dough balls and corn wraps

7. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I tried everything from shads, dough balls, worms, carp bait (berkley) and nothing was hitting, My gf caught 3 .9lbers on a #4 hook with a dough ball. But its nothing at all special. We fished from 5am to 11am.

8. Kubush

Kubush New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thats odd, when I fished there I couldnt catch anything but carp. I even caight 3 using baby carp the size of my thumb (2"-2.5") right near the spillway. I also had alot of bites in the shallow areas with corn about 1-2ft from shore the biggest were 5lbs and 6lbs.

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
  10. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I tear into at least 5 or 6 carp over 10lbs every time I'm on the upper salt river near the diversion dam. Always caught them on corn or worms, and that area has the best shore access of any area I fish. They are not my targeted species, but I use one for cut bait, and they are fun to catch. The banks on that stretch of river get littered with carp corpses though, because a lot of fishermen leave all the carp they catch up on the bank to die. I've seen piles of huge carp all through that area, but catching them will probably never be a problem.

11. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    catfish point has slowed way down,even nthe carp fdishing has been slow this year! Big carp can be caught at sagauro fairly easy right now with the lite fishing pressure.Mckelleps park in tempe is a great spot for bait sized carp.:smile2:

12. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yeah, carp was really slow. How do I get to the spot mentioned by GETHOOKED? Also, thanks for the offer. I might have to take you up on it sometime. Seems like the Salt river is rather hot right now.

Are there any spots where its a bit colder than the closer area? We got a very very solid tan close to being burnt at catfish point and I was hoping there might be something in the colder region like up north by the rim or something like that.

Thanks for all the welcomes

13. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    You can only get to that spot by boat. If you really want a great carp spot. I mean for some HUGE carp and HUNDREDS of them and all you need is to put your hook in the water. YOU NEED TO GO TO THE DIVERSION DAMN.

14. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    SORRY I sent it too early. Pm me or Silencedmajority. There are more carp there, most of them are over 20 lbs than you could catch in a month. You can walk right to them, nice clay bank, beautiful spot and more carp than I can say----REALLY. tHE

15. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    How do you get to diversion dam? Is it the granite reef dam you guys are talking about?

16. SandyCatfish

SandyCatfish New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    B/f and I got a good 3 lb carp, by the diversion dam on Lake Roosevelt about 3 weeks....we let it go. The banks are very muddy...we saw a road back there...no idea how you got there, since we were on our boat. Is carp good eating? We were looking for flatheads in the canyon...water was 4-5 ft deep...we also caught a turtle the same night we caught the carp!!! Sandy

17. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    We use the carp mainly for our holiday dinners. Its a big part of the polish dinner on christmas eve. They are best up to 5lbs, anything bigger its not really good.

18. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    YOU MUST POST A RECIPE!!!! WE CATCH SO MUCH AND BIG ONE IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE ABLE TO KNOW HOW TO EAT THEM!!

19. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ill get recipes from my mother some time this week. Also, Get hooked - I sent you a pm in case you didn't notice.

20. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ

Do you use corn to go after the monsters? Everytime I have eaten at the restaurant at Canyon Lake, I have tossed my french fries to them and watched in amazement. They are gigantic!

How do you go after the big ones? Do you tie on some french fries or what? TIA.