Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
1,083 Posts
They range from about 1/2 oz to 2 oz. I bought this variety pack. Where I am fishing it doesn't matter as there isn't much current so not much is needed to keep them in place.

Amazon.com : Inline Method Feeders Set with Quick Release Moulds for Carp Fishing Bait Holder Tool : Sports & Outdoors
I've never seen that before looks good

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice, caught them by accident while fishing with bread for bluegill with my niece. Actually a real tough fight for her on her Frozen movie fishing pole. New to catfish. I am gonna go see if I can catch one tomorrow, if they freeze well I can chunk it up and freeze it. I cannot always get shad.
They are alot of fun to catch besides being good bait. I prefer to freeze them whole, but I have filleted the big ones and froze them that way. I think they freeze better whole. That is why I like the smaller ones.

· Registered
422 Posts
It's always struck me as really odd, but in all the years I've spent in the water here in PA ,very VERY rarely have I ever seen baby carp. There are big carp everywhere, they seem to just appear full grown lol!!

I have found a couple nursery areas that I now realize are where all the baby carp stay, but it always seemed really crazy that i can catch/see baby fish of every species on a regular basis , but i never see baby carp.

I would LOVE to have a place to catch them that size, of course I wouldn't use them whole , because that would be illegal here, but if a fella just wanted to feed giant flatheads...those carp would probably make prime feeding lol.

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's always struck me as really odd, but in all the years I've spent in the water here in PA ,very VERY rarely have I ever seen baby carp. There are big carp everywhere, they seem to just appear full grown lol!!

I have found a couple nursery areas that I now realize are where all the baby carp stay, but it always seemed really crazy that i can catch/see baby fish of every species on a regular basis , but i never see baby carp.

I would LOVE to have a place to catch them that size, of course I wouldn't use them whole , because that would be illegal here, but if a fella just wanted to feed giant flatheads...those carp would probably make prime feeding lol.
LOl. Yes they would. I think that spot is overloaded with carp and part of the reason they are small. I caught all of those in a little over an hour of fishing.

· Registered
40 Posts
you know, you are right! I see them spawn in the spring but I never caught one under 2 lbs in a cast net either.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
I use an 8oz no roll, never in the current though, the fis can move it abit but gets tired quick. Nothing ate that big one but i have had luck on 10-12" carp and bullhead
I haven't tried bait that size yet but planning on it. This summer my sinker mold drops a 3 / 4 / 5 oz so will just dubbel up

1 - 20 of 36 Posts