Carp Fishing - Am I The Only One??

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, May 3, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Hi Guys,

Am I the only one catching any Carp?? Surely not!!

Come on now. Post some pix or tell some stories (truthful, that is). Afterall, all I am getting is some small carp but at least I am posting some pix and telling a bit of the story of the catch.

2. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i caught a 3 lb carp and a couple 7 pounders anda 16 lber up at a small public pond on corn

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have only caught one carp in my life and it was on accident. Had poles out with stink bait on em and it about took it in the water. LMAO

Here is the pic.

4. Kentucky Boy

Kentucky Boy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have caught a few carp here, but the pics are not loading in the computer or loading up to email either. Nothing big though, 6 lbs is the biggest so far.

5. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Hey Tea,

Nice Carp. But, if it was not caught this year it doesn't count. Thanks for the input and pic.

6. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Mudcat,

If you have some pix of them, please post. Thanks for the input.

Did you use the corn straight on the hook or did you "hair rig" it??

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I was fishing off a fishing pier for crappie on a local lake last year. An old guy was fishing next to me and he couldn't tie a knot. I helped him and he asked if i could bait it with corn. I said sure. He invited me to carp fish with him and i said no thanks, thinking carp wasn't my kind of fishing. Well after watching him pull in three that were all over 10 pounds u better believe i sat down next to him. I caught 6 carp over 10 pounds and a couple small ones. One of the most fun days of fishing i've ever had. I havent' done it yet this year but hope to soon!

8. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    pound for pound one of the hardest fighting fish in freshwater. they are fun to catch. they are also great for teaching kids to fish, no live bait, no sharp fins to get cut on, and a fight that young'ens won't soon forget about.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have lots of pics of carp I got this year. Not sure if you want to see those.

10. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ive caught only 1, a 20 pounder, so far this year. It was a grass carp, which we catch regurally on a local pond. All of them we catch range from 17 to 20 pounds. One drawback though is that do do not fight half as hard as common carp.

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The grassies will sure fight when they hit that bank though. I actually went yesterday and posted, but it said internet connection not found and I lost the whole post and since it was late and I had HW I had no time to repost but I will try to put it up later today, needless to say I improvised me a good rig. I caught a few yesterday, smallest was 4lbs caught on hair rigged pineapple chunk, and also caught 1 on a hair rigged wheat puff (8lbs), and on hair rigged marshmallows. No pics though, I am in the stone age of cameras. Here is my updated carp count for this year.
    2006 Carp Count
    Carp-31
    under 10lbs- 12
    10-15 lbs- 9
    15-20 lbs- 9
    20+ lbs- 1
    PB Common-22.3lbs (March 23, 2006)
    PB Grass-18.5lbs (April 1, 2006)
    PB Mirror-6lbs (January 29, 2006)
    PB Buffalo-6.6lbs (April 29, 2006)

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    When I go carp fishing, the bank in the area that I fish is very muddy and somewhat hazardous, especially for cameras. I rarely take one along with me. The pic in my avatar is about the size of the average carp that I catch. It was 28 inches long and weighed 17lbs.

13. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah i do catch carp and use them for cutbait to catch catfish but this is a CATFISHERMAN website thats probly why every1 doesnt post their carp pictures

14. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I have caught several carp this year most between 10-15 pounds. I have no pictures of them for you unfortunately, as I don't usually take pics of them. One was snagged accidentally right behind the dorsal fin in its back. Reeling that one in sideways on 4 pound ultralight gear was quite a battle!

15. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Yes, it is a Catfisherman website. However, as you must have noticed. This is a section of that site that is devoted to carp fishing. So, what better place to put your carp photos and not clutter up the catfishing section.

There are also sections dedicated to other fish as well. And, sections for hunting etc. and numerous other things as well. All these various dedicated sections are just one of the things that make this such a great site.

It was catfishing that brought me to this site, with its wealth of information concerning the same. But, it is the variety of subjects and knowledge on numerous other things that I am interested in that keep me here for most of my internet time. This site is like an encylopedia for me. And, lets face facts, most of us have more than just one interest or hobby. So, is it not great to have one place to come to, where you will probably find others who have the same interests etc? And, can read posts concerning those interests, ask questions, get and give information, view and post pics of whatever it may be.

I have several different hobbies/sports that pertain to the outdoors and some other things too. And, all but a couple of them are covered here at the BOC. So, the BOC is sort of like a Super Store to me. A one stop, "Stop and Shop".

Paul and the BOC staff have done an excellent job in putting together and maintaining this site. And, their futuristic thinking (by adding things, other than just catfishing) will continue to make this one of, if not the best place to be, on the internet

16. John H

John H New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    My Dad, years ago had a recipe for smoking carp. I just found it the other day. I remember him smoking them and I also remember all the people that broke down the door to have a taste... Just like Hickory smoked Ham. With beer it was great. I guess, I should get that recipe and post it. I am going to try and get enough to smoke (around 10) I know you clean them really good. don't scale them - you soak them over night in this special salt. next day rinse them off and rub in a great deal of BROWN SUGAR.... Then open them up scale side's down and Hickory smoke slowly for about 4 hours. Have you friends bring the beer and get to it.. You won't be sorry
    I will find and post the whole recipe, for those that care to try it in the next week. Headed out tomorrow for Minnesota to Walleye and Channel Cat fish.
    Safe travels John H

17. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Jared,

I certainly know about snagging a carp behind the dorsal fin or near the tail and the fight and time it can take you to get it in. I snagged one (near the tail) on a crankbait, while fishing for bass (using spinning gear) back in the early 70's. And, I did not think I would ever get him netted. My wrist about gave out on me during that fight. I was using a 6' Fenwick Lunker Stick with a Garcia/Mitchell 410 high speed reel (basically a souped up Garcia/Mitchell 300 with a 5 to 1 retrieve and maybe a couple of ball bearings).

Anyway, it is a fight I have never forgotten. And, to beat it all, I had my little brother with me at the time (he was 9 yrs old then). And, after I got the carp netted, in the boat and then released and continued fishing, I noticed that my brother was not making any casts. So, I said, "Ben, if you don't have your lure in the water, you are not going to catch any fish." He looks at me and says,"I don't want to get anything like that on my line." Haaaaaa. It was really something, after Ben had seen the time I had playing and landing that fish and then seeing the fish. He was actually afraid to make another cast. For fear of playing a fish for so long and then netting, what he considered to be an ugly fish.

18. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Brad,

Thanks for your carp fishing log and for some new ideas on bait. The hair rigged wheat puff is really intriguing to me.

The Pineapple chunk really blew me away. And, all I am thinking is "sweet and sour" carp. Although, I have yet to eat a carp. But, I am going to change that, this year. Especially, since the carp I catch, come out of the cleanest lake in TN. And, preparing them in "sweet and sour" fashion, (like pork chunks) could be quite tasty.

19. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Look at my avatar!

20. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I should be more specific, it was a hair rigged wheat puffs, plural. There were about 6 of them on the hair. Also, the pineapple stayed on very well. And yesterday, 5-4-06 I caught my new PB mirror, a pic may be soon to follow if the guy sends me the pic through email. Big beutiful fish on ultralight gear, caught on a topwater floating dough, and he fought for easily 10 minutes on 6lb line. He weighed in at 10lbs 6ozs, then caught a 8lb 12 oz fish on the same dough, minus floating capability. I went out to get something to eat, and next thing I knew I was fishing for 2 hours. The joys of always having rod and bait mix on hand.