Carp Combos

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by countrycat15, Feb 6, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have just bought 2 7-foot shakespeare contender custom spinning rod reel combos from walmart at about 30 dollars each i am going to use them for some carp fishing at a local ******* called cooks catfish and carp lake in gastonia nc, i have never been there but my dad and cousion went and caught a 32 pound carp there. me and my dad are going next week so i was wondering if anybody else fishes this lake and tell me what they have cought there and how big.also about my carp fishing setup what do u think about it and would this be good for carp fishing. any info u can give will help me out alot thanks.

also does anyone fish lake wylie and can u catch carp there. if u can please give me some spots on were to find them thanks.

2. coloradowhiskerchaser

coloradowhiskerchaser New Member

State:
    colorado
    countrycat,
    I think your combo should be fine. I fish for big carp a lot and my #1 consideration is having a good drag on the reel. I have had the gears stripped out of spinning reels when the drag was of poor quality. Carp fishing equipment can be as simple or extravigant as you want it to be but you can catch fish with all of it. Good luck and I hope you catch a big one!

Brett

3. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Not sure what you will be using for bait...but corn works well. Also use a packbait if allowed. Here is a good packbait recipe:

2 cups bran flakes
    1 cup quick oats
    2 tbsp bread crumbs
    Wet it down with Karo syrup

Works everytime.

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    sorry for not posting eairler, but thanks for all your help guys.

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    sorry for not posting eiarler,but thanks for all your help guys.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    hey countrycat and welcome...(yeah i know a lil late) i wish u good luck. only thing i could tell ya is only from what i have heard good carpers say because myself havent fished for carp much...

1.) NO SINKERS if possible... if u need use a slip sinker
    2.) Mostly natural bait.. IE. worms, dough balls, pack bait.
    3.) SMALL hooks, just because ur after big fish dont mean use big hooks, remember how small a carps mouth is.
    4.) Timing is essentual, cant wait too long and cant set the hook too fast.
    5.) Always fish on the bottom for carps. Remember how the mouths shape'
    6.) Have a good drag set... pretty loose or ur out a reel lol
    7.) You have to wait for that big o'l carp to hit...
    8.) A 10 pound carp fights like a 25 pound cat and a 7 pound bass.

Hopefully this helps you out there are the rules i follow when/if i try.. And again Good Luck as always

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for all your help guys.im thinkin about going to a local carp lake tomarrow and try out my combos, ill let u know how i do tomarrow.

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    wheat germ, wheaties and grape kool aid mixed with water and kneaded to make a good stiff doughball always worked good for carp in Illinois and Kansas for me.

9. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    your combo should work fine, just be patient and take your time