Carp central

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by dreamcatcher, May 25, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I thought I would start a thread here about the wondrous carp, and what better way to do it than with a couple of photos. I don't know about you guys, but I love catching carp! I especially like doing it on lighter, more responsive gear, but they will tax the heavy stuff too. They are another one of the so-called trash fish, but they are deserving of more respect than that! They are outstanding fighters, pretty smart(unless they are starving), make good cut bait, and are outstanding table fare! Yes, they are good to eat, AND they are good for you! Like Sparky says, cold water fish and hot grease is an unbeatable combination (he wasn't referring to carp when he said it, but the same rule applies ROTFLOL)!

Here's one I caught yesterday with my three year old. The fish bit a 5/0 circle hook on a three-way rig in heavy current. 13 and a half pounds was the weight on the fish. My largest fish of the year so far, and four pounds off my personal best of 17. I was going to keep it, but I wasn't in the mood to clean any fish. The next time, if there is a next time I will be having me some carp fillets. Does anybody know why they bleed like they do?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/dreamcatcher3/Maycarp.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/dreamcatcher3/13andonehalf.jpg

2. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Nice looking Carp! Almost as big as your sidekick, lol. They are alot of fun to catch, great fighters. :smile2:

3. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Yeah, he didn't want any part of that fish...ROTFLOL!!!!

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i hooked a big carp on fly rod once accidently on purpose. man he spooled me quick before my 4x tippet snapped

5. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Hey, Vic!!
    You left the price tag on that thing!! LOL

6. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Yeah, I know Mike. That's how they come when you get them out of the fish truck! ROTFLOL!

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    what did u use for bait,

i got this berkely(i think it is) and it is this corn stuff(like a dough bait) and it smells like creamed corn, and it has a picture of a carp on it lol
    think it will work?

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That sure looks like a nice place to fish! Nice catch! You have any special ways of cooking them?

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Yes, I know the stuff you use from Berkley. I bought some of it last year, but didn't get a bite. LOL. When I fish specifically for carp I use whole kernel corn. I take a couple of handfuls and chum the area in front of my bank spot when I'm fishing a small stream. It will usually get me a couple of fish...

Yesterday's fish was caught using green nightcrawlers fishing for channels...

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Phillip it is a decent spot to fish. You wouldn't believe all the species of fish that are in that one section. People come down there to fish for walleye, cats, tiger muskies, and bluegill. As for cooking carp, I have no special way, but I'm told that smoked is the best way to eat them. I have had them fried as a kid and it was delicious.

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    When I was a kid my dad use to bake them with onions and tomatoes and it wasnt bad! They are quite a prize by many of the different cultures that fish our waters! Then, also there are the ones that just throw them on the bank to die :angry: I release mine unharmed these days!

12. Derick

Derick New Member

State:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    so i was talking to a buddy of mine that used to live around where i do now, he was telling me about this pond, which is seconds from my place, where he used to fly fish for carp, so a couple of days i went out and managed to hook up with the fish in the photo, (if this link works, first time posting a pic) i went out tonight and only got one on but was unable to land it. hopefully i will be able to post some more photos soon!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/dlrich21/HPIM0532.jpg

13. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Nice photo Derick! To some folks, it a lonely carp. To others, it is a worthy opponent.
    Vic say, "fishing is fishing, all that swims in the water, deserves to go back in unless you are in the mood to clean it for table fare".
    You live in a good area to catch some cats. So, go out there with some cut bait, shimp, crawlers, or any other bait of choice and get some photos of some cats.
    Line yourself up with jross, he'll help you out.
    Maybe, we can set a date, and all get down your way. to fish and meet one another.
    Sparky

14. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Vic nice to see that you and your son got to spend some time fishing! And as far as him not wanting nothing to do with it in two or three years he will be trying to jump in and grab them for ya.

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Derick, that is a great photo. Looks like one of those spots where you can pack the cooler on a 75 degree day with your favorite lounge chair, and totally relax. Beautiful scenery...

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

That's what I'm hoping for Don...LOL

17. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Phillip, it's hard for me to deal with any fish that's rotting on the bank, especially one that I could have eaten! I even throw goby minnows back in the water, but they are usually attached to a circle hook! ROTFLOL!!! The next carp I catch will be table fare unless I catch it too late into the summer. I'll let you know how it is...

18. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hey guys, I had a conversation with Don Lambert over the weekend about a carp spearing contest they were holding outside the Bay City area. Don can give you better details because he saw it first hand, but what he told me just isn't right. They were filling up 55 gallon drums with carp, dogfish,(and a few catfish bit the dust). I guess the contest was built around who could get the most weight?!?! The prize money was a couple hundred bucks, and afterwards these fish are just thrown out to rot!!!!:choler: :choler: :choler:

Now, I realize that many of us view carp as a "trash" fish, with much of this sentiment coming from the propoganda that surrounds other "more prized" species.

THESE FISH ARE NOT TRASH!!!! Here's a couple of reasons why:

(1) Although carp is an undesirable on the dinner plate in this country they maintain delicacy status in many countries around the world. Now ask yourself why this is the case. Do you think carp have achieved this status because of their bad taste? The taste of the flesh is not an acquired one, it is a taste that you should acquire. Don't fall prey to all this talk about a "mud vein." As brother Sparky would state, "There is no real magic about cleaning this fish." Cut away the reddish, brown meat from the top layer, and go about your business in preparing it like anything else. If you type "carp recipes" you will get many sites that give you different ways that you can prepare the fish...Don't fall prey to this propoganda!!! Carp is not only good to eat, but it's good for you. Some studies have shown that it's even better for you than catfish, for those of you that eat cats. It carries a little more fat than a cat, but it's higher in protein if I'm not mistaken. In these trying economic times you can't fall prey to heresay. Don't dismiss a valuable food source if you haven't personally tried it.

(2) The sporting quality of this fish on light to medium tackle is second to none!!! Why would you spear them when you can test your angling skills in an attempt to catch a monster carp on a #2, 4, or 6 hook? Carp are some of the smartest fish in freshwater, so landing a real trophy carp on rod and reel is no easy task. You would have better luck landing a monster cat in comparison. However, anybody can spear a fish that's swimming just below the surface in shallow water. Let me fair here in regards to the spearing if that's your flavor. If you're going to make good use of the fish, spear it. That's as fair as I can get...

(3) Lastly, if you don't want to eat it or target them on rod and reel, spear the fish and use it as cutbait for catfish. They bleed profusely, produce more oil than a bluegill, and they give you larger chunks of flesh to put on your hook. CATFISH LOVE CUT OR LIVE CARP.

What am I missing? I just can't see filling up barrels of fish just to let them rot. What is the value in that?

Does this type of activity go on where you live? If so, what is the reasoning that supports these events? Please give me a counter argument, because I'm not seeing the big picture here...

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Vic that is not right brother. Sorry to hear about that in your home waters. I am very much a CPR advicator if you are not gonna eat it. Sad to hear.

20. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Don got me on the nextel 2-way sunday night and told me about it too. I told him to call the DNR immediately and he said they were there already! And they were not doing anything about it!

I told him to call the local news- Channel 12, channel 25.... get the local treehuggers into the frey and watch the crapstorm unfold.
    Why not- the so-called fishermen are wasting our good name as stewards of the water... as good conservationists. As good men and women- as good fishermen.

I figure that with the naiive public seeing barrels of dead carp dumped on the roadside, perhaps there will be enough outrage to create steeper fines for dumping or to discourage these guys from doing it.

Heck- go after the tourney director- see WHO got the money, what charity it is for, or if they went through the proper channels to secure a fundraiser or tournament with permits and such.

To me this is a waste. Carp are a great catch. I dont eat them personally, but maybe Ill have to give one a try. I have always just let them go when I got them.

HEY DON...

How did you do with your boy this weekend... You never got back to me? Where is the success story!?!?!?