Carp Catching for Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by moriver, Apr 19, 2007.

1. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Last year I used the "Flying Fish" for bait and had great success. I am going out this weekend and was wondering if someone had success snagging them? It is great bait and I hear if you can hook one it is great sport. If you would be willing to share your technique I would be greatfull.

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Snagging for carp is a blast. They are also easier to find than shad this time of year with the water as high as it its. I usually pull into a slough or behing a wing dyke and use my electronics. You can usually see them stacked up in a pool. Usually you can have one snagged in one or two casts. They put up one heck of a fight. We snagged a few last week, and the biggest one we caught dragged my loaded boat about 25 feet before we got it into the boat. Comparing them to the same size catfish, asians, fight probably twice as hard. Right now, they are all full of eggs, so catch all you can!:tounge_out: :cool2: :lol:

3. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gary

What equipment to you us to snag then? Do you drag the bottom or keep it up high? What type of gear do you use, spoonbill type stuff or your cat rods? This sounds like it could be a good time and I really want to give it a try. Thanks for the info.....

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I actually have 2 different rigs for snagging. If I'm just going after bait, I'll use a 10/0 treble hook with a 6 oz sinker right below it. For spoonbill, I use 3 10/0 trebles, spaced about a foot and a half apart, with an 8 or 10 oz sinker on the bottom. Drag it while trolling, giving steady jerks. This seems to work well for me. As far as equipment goes, nothing special I have Penn 209's ,with one 7' solid snagging rod, and some 7' Catmaxx rods. They both work pretty good.

5. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    when you say right below it do you actually mean to put the weight underneath the hook or just right above it?

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I will actually my weight underneath my 10/0 treble hook.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats what I do also. I found electrical fence wire works great. I'll thread the wire throught the eye of the banksinker and snug it up to the bottom of the 10 ott treble, then I'll make several twist around the shank of the treble hook. As for snagging the asians, you dont even need to be on the bottom necessarily. They will be stacked up from the bottom to 20 feet off of the bottom. I'll try and take a photo here in a bit of one of my hook/weight setups.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    UhOh! Did I forget to mention?:eek:oooh: I'm using the same setup as you, Cuz, I stole your idea, and it works pretty darn good!:big_smile: Thanks for showing it to me. I'd take a pic of my rig, and post it, but I lost all that I had rigged up over the weekend. Time to make some more!!

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Well, I stepped outside for a minute and made up some more snaggin' rigs. Here are a couple of different rigs that I use. One is a 10/0 hook with a 4oz sinker wired to it. It cost about a buck to make. I used some old baling wire I found in my garage to wire the sinker to the hook. The other is a Bass Pro weighted snagging hook. It's a 12/0 with I think an ounce and a half of weight. They run about 3 bucks.

Attached Files:

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    That looks like a "Cuz Rig" to me. :big_smile: Absolutely Deadly on the asians. :smile2:

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    That definetely is a "Cuz Rig" Indeed. It'll kill em quick!!:big_smile: :big_smile:

12. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't see many folks talking about the catmaxx rods. How would they rank in quality if you take money out of the picture?

13. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    Are there many aisians up around kc?The rig looks easy to set up thanks

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I absolutely love my catmaxx rods. I have caught several fish without a problem. They are an excellent quality rod for the money. I don't know how they will hold up to snagging use, but I use a regular snagging rod for that. I have caught blues up in the 30's without a single problem. I've been using them for two years now, and will continue to buy them, as long as they continue to be good.

15. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks
    I have two 7 1/2 footers with Penn reels. We caught several 40+ pounders with one over 50 last spring. They held up just fine but I'm wanting to be prepaired for the 75+ or even better,,,,, Record fish! If I'm going to spend my money on a pole I want it to be what I need and want that will last.
    :0a23:

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'm sure they will hold up, I use 7' med/heavy, and they will hog in 30-40lber's no problem. I would go for a heavy action, but If I have a record fish on the line, The rod is the least of my worries. I would make sure I had some pretty good line. I do know that some record fish have been caught on a Zebco 33 and zebco rod. So if they will handle it, I have no doubt that my catmaxx will. Besides that I know a few people that have caught fish in the 60lb range on a regular med-heavy ugly stik.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    My 90+ plus Blue came in with a regular med-light ugly stick., and so did the one in my avatar. :big_smile: A smooth running reel drag is the absolute key to the setup, along with a good quality line, whether your running braids or monos. No matter what your reel preference is, the ones with the big 'star drag' type mechanisms are best In myopinion as you can change drag settings quickly and easily during the fight. More importantly, no matter what rig or reel or line or hook you use, make sure its in good shape. Big Kitty's will break your heart if they find a weakness in your setup. :embarassed: