Carp bowfishing tips

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by onlyone, Apr 23, 2006.

1. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Have any tips for bowfishing for carp? Favorite time of day? Throw fish food out? Also, what are these "boilies" you guys talk about?

2. jkesler

jkesler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Back in late March last year, my buddy and I shot eight carp that all weighed over 30 pounds in a flooded duck pond beside a river. It was like shooting fish in a barrel, they were in about 18 inches of water. I'd have to say that if you can catch them spawning that would be the best time.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What type of carp were all these 30's, were they asian carp, and what did you do with them.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    If you want to bowfish, it is better to go on a sunny warm day. The carp move in the shallows to feed and early in spring they start spawning. You can wade or take a boat to get them. You just stalk them as you do deer. Make sure you use polarized glasses so it cuts the glare and you can see the fish better. You don't have to put out food for them. The ones that do that is the carp fisherman so they will move into the area where they are fishing. The boilie is a hard small ball of bait with different scents so the carp will find them. They put them on a rig so the boilie is at the end of the line and the hook is above it. That is so the carp doesn't get the hook in it's throat. But for the most part of bowfishing, just check shallow areas or grassy and lilly pads for the carp. The carp in the 30 lb. range may have been the common carp or the white amur (grass carp). If you want to know more about bowfishing just give me a shout.

5. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    well i just won a bow lastnight on a radio show dont know much about it other then it's a mathews genesis of some kind i really want to try bowfishing is there a good starter set i should get or what ?????

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would get the AMS starter kit, has a retriever reel arrows with muzzy tips and safety slides and a nice video of bowfishing. Runs about $100.00 but is worth it.

7. Iowa Buckmaster

Iowa Buckmaster New Member

State:
    iowa
    ams is the best gear you can buy for bowfishing hands down.

8. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    ams retriever all the way, now as long as you pair it up with a bear kodiak or a ben pearson recurve , its the best setup you can buy