Carp boilies?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by J.BENKE, Jan 28, 2007.

1. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    has anyone ever had any luck with carp boilies?

2. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i made some last summer and got a lot of pan size channels

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I've had some luck with Mainlines Essential Opal. Only thing is, as far as I know, they're not being imported any more. I've also been doing alright with ACS's 10mm pineapple boilie. Bought some fresh boilies last year, but I wasn't used to the fresh and left them unrefrigerated and they were growing mold.
    But my main go to, is pineapple flavored maize.
    Will

4. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    ive read alot of recipies over the internet and a few in in-fisheman mag, but i didnt know if they were worth my time or not, thanks for the replies

5. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Boilies do work. I make my own, and buy some. I also make pop-ups (floating boilies). I usually just use corn though. If you want to use boilies, put them on a hair-rig. Coonx you should try Wacker Bait & Tackle. They sell the dry boilies that don't mold. J.BENKE Wacker B&T has whatever you could want. Click on the piece of corn. Check out the recipes on left-hand side. You can learn quite a bit about European Carp fishing just from looking at this site.

http://www.wackerbaits.com/

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So whats a boilie?

7. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    A boilie is basically a flavored/boiled doughball. they are very tough compared to our American doughbaits that we use. They stay on the line (hair-rig) in the water better and can be cast farther. You can get them in floating (pop-ups) so the fish can find them easier. They dissolve slowly and give off alot of scent. I have been thinking about making some with the "Meal Fish Attractant Additives" from Catfish Connection. They would be another bait in my arsenal for catfish. If nothing more, they should work for bait in my minnow traps.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I though tyou guys were talking about something to eat at the dinner table.

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Some of the flavors sound pretty good....pineapple, tutti frutti........ummmmmmmmm boilieeesssss....:tounge_out:

10. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    So is it like a dumpling?
    ya got a recipe for them?

11. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    1/4 cup ground corn flakes or Wheaties
    1/4 cup ground quick oats
    1/4 cup bread crumbs (plain)
    1/2 teaspoon Lorann oils or other flavorings (experiment with these) one of my favorites is Tutti-Fruity
    1/8 cup Kosher or Sea salt
    1 egg
    food coloring

Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Mix flavoring oil and egg in a cup. Add food coloring to the flavoring and egg mixture until you have the color you want. Mix wet ingredients slowly with dry ingredients to make a crumbly dough. You should be able to roll a small amount into a nice ball by hand (you might want to wear rubber gloves). If the dough is too dry, add a little water or more egg slowly, until it is the right consistency. Roll dough into 1/4" to 3/4" balls. Drop into sieve and boil for 2-3 minutes.

12. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    i havent tried either store-bought or homemade, which do you think works better.

13. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I guess American carp are not as sophisticated as European carp because, I've had good luck with my homemade boilies as well as the store-bought.

14. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    LOL
    That must bi it.The makers of the boughten stuff want you to think carp are sophisticated diners.
    Hey j benke
    The fish picks up its food from the bottom of a river.What kinda scum do you suppose is down there.How picky can they be. If you have read the online recipes of those brits you will notice they use various kinds of pepper in their recipe. They claim it is a carrier,used to help carry the scent downstream.I'm doubting it.

thanks again D Weezy