carp bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cook, Oct 26, 2007.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I know some of you have success using asain cut carp,but have you ever tried the smaller silver carp?If I remember right,there are 2 types,the silvers only get up to around 5#.Found a spot that holds some nearby,but snagging is illegal there....but if I accidently snag one while crappie fishing,I think its also illegal to put it back alive:smile2:

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I think this was discussed before Jon, and someone found out that as long as they are already in the body of water your fishing in then it's OK to use them as live bait. I've heard that those smaller ones make great Flathead bait, so if you have a place to find them I'd toss out a net and catch a bunch and start baiting up those lines.

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    When people refer to asian carp they are talking about silver carp and bighead(generally anyways)

THe bighead carp get to over 100 lbs but the silvers do get to 60 plus pounds.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Didn't realize the silvers get that big-the ones I've been seeing all seem to run 3-5 pounds.

What I was trying to ask is are the silvers equally a effective cutbait as the bigheads?:0a28:

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yes, they bleed like crazy and leave alot of scent in the water.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    IF you ask me the silvers are better cut bait then the big heads. They seem to be a little more nasty smelling.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO

Nope.

Asian carp (silver and bighead) may not be used as live bait in the state of Missouri.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Marty is correct. When Cuz and I were stopped by the Illinois conservation police on the Mississippi River, they made us go through our baitwell and stab all the carp to insure that they were dead. Both conservation departments want no chance of spreading this infestation to other bodies of water.:wink: