Carp bait

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by txcatfisher, Aug 28, 2007.

1. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    what is good carp bait to make at home

2. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    An easy bait that I use is to take a banana smash it up add an egg, mix that up and add wheat germ to make it thick and sometimes I add a little cat tail fuzz or tear up a couple cotton balls to make it stay on the hook and I have had good luck on that one, I make several other kinds but the bannana bait is about the easiest to make.

3. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Canned sweet corn .

4. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brenden,
    I got the following by watching the operator of a pay lake in Central Illinois mix it. It is the best I've ever used. I had tried to duplicate it for some time. This particular day she was out when I went to purchase some & said she would have to mix it up..... her one room store didn't give opportunity to mix it in private......wala..... I got the recipe.....here it is.....

I used a 1 lb coffee can as a measure.

1 can of Crushed Wheaties,
    1 can corn meal
    1/2 can Wheat germ, Alfalfa meal

1/4 can salt, (I added garlic salt instead of plain salt)

Just enough water to moisten & work ingredients together. Form into egg sized lumps and store in sandwich bags. Keep refrigerated.

Successfully fishing the bait requires spending time in one spot. As the bait melts off the hook it salts the location. After some time several carp will be feeding the area. Use a very small trebble hook, roll a ball of the bait about the size of your thumb around the hook. I prefered to use no weight but let it sink to the bottom & be patient as the carp feeds on the bait & eventually sucks in inside his mouth...... wala.......the fight is on!

5. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well never worked before but i caught 2 tonight around 30 lbs on liver of all things was fishing for channels and got these:confused2:

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive tried all kind of carp bait, bought and homemade. The best I found is corn tortillas. I tear them in quarters and let them sit in the sun till kinda hard and fold them a few times and put them on the hook. I Carolina rig it with a 4/0 mosquito hook with a short leader about 12 inches.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I agree with ldw45 only different is we add alot of vanille extract to ours, works very well, then it may just be them Ilini carp too :smile2:

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Throw out a can of corn the night before and take wheaties and strawberry soda with some corn juice. Add enough wheaties to make it stick. Works great on the carp anytime of the year and simple to make. Good luck. Works great with a hair rig.

9. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    i will try that

10. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    I agree. They really like the canned corn. You can get them at the grocery store in the half cans with the peel off tops for about $0.60 a piece. Great for leaving in the trunk. I will bait half the hook with the corn kernels and the other half with a small piece if raw hotdog. It keeps them biting all day. The hotdogs work even better if they are left out for a day.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    As a kid I fish for them, we even had the ones that were white, gold, black or all combined colors. This was on Long Island 30yrs ago but this is what got them. I just took a small hook and some fresh white bread, Break off about a 1/4 piece then ball it up in one tiny corner. Put your hook in the ball part. The carp were always feeding on the top early or late in the day so they were easy to spot. There was a small drain pipes that gave some current so I would place it in the current and let it drift out. Them big boys loved it. You would see them coming for it then a big sucking noise..it was on now, lol. It works good but I admit its a chore keeping the bread on, works well if you can spot them early. Dough works good also. Like I said , it worked 30ys ago, lol.

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Just ask member Bacardipr05, he makes good carp bait at home. :wink:

13. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A good and easy carp bait I make is to use wheat bread with peanutbutter, vanilla extract and strawberry coolaid mix all up and watch the carp eat it up catch a few channels as well.

14. preston fox

preston fox New Member

State:
    Va.
    One of the best and easiest carp bait is Green Gaint canned corn! We take a handful and throw it out in the area we are fishing and then thread 6-8 kernel on a light wire circle hook. A low visablity leader seems to help. Tight Lines....Set the cold steel .:smile2:

15. GATOR744

GATOR744 New Member

State:
    PA
    A can of corn is a good start But fishnfwl got it the righ idle I use vanille extract or anise extract and add some food color red,green,or yellow this works pertty good.

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a few of them the simplest is canned corn if you can find the Del Monte Organic corn, Green Giant is probably a close second. There is another no name brand that works pretty good but i cant remember the name right know. Take a zip-loc bag pour some juice in with the corn good quality vanilla extract and a sprinkle of sugar. Shake it gently and fridge over night. Another will be to take a slice of bread(remove the crust) some corn meal and flour a little bit of hot water. Knead all the ingredients add a 1/2 teaspoon Anise extract a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Work all the ingredients together until you form a tight ball. Have more but can't reveal all my secrets know.:wink: Best if you chum before hand if possible.

17. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    P.S. use a small bait holder type hook cover the whole hook barely leaving the point exposed.( a small regular octopus seems to work as well) I agree with Preston with the low visibility leader although i have caught a few using steel leaders before. If they see or feel any thing strange they wont go for it especially the big boys. Don't over do it with the Vanilla or other extracts you should be barely able to smell it. Trust me its in there they will smell it even if you can't.

18. jamminbassplayer

jamminbassplayer New Member

State:
    kansas
    I caught a huge carp on a plain old worm on a hook. they're supposedly herbivores but they'll eat just about anything.

19. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I have had very good success using wheaties, cream corn and honey. Just hand crush the wheaties or use a blender, add enough cream corn to make it moist( not too much beacuse it will get soft) then add about a tsp full of honey, this will make it pack. Just make it into a ball wrap it in foil and tear off a small portion at a time. Ive caught some pretty large carp on this bait. Also have added some vanilla extract into the mix.

20. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always use corn myself it's cheap and it works