Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Why do you want it to fall off? My Granny's old recipe was 40% bran-flakes with Karo syrup or Bran Flakes sugar and Big Red Soda pop. Both were sticky and stayed on the hook pretty well and the carp loved both of them.

Carp are a surprise to a lot of bass fishermen. I took one fishing for them. He kept calling them goldfish until one nearly yanked the rod out of his hand and broke the line. Bass fight totally different from carp. They try to dive into the brush or run sort of back and forth. A carp tries to leave the county! Great fun and no fish to clean at the end of the day.

Carp are great to carry kids to fish. they run in schools so once you find them there will be a lot of action. It also is good for a kid to deal with something that you can't always just crank in. It wasn't until I started to fish in the brackish waters near the coast that I found anything that pound for pound fought as hard as a carp.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The falling of bait was discovered probably by the man who now owns joes fishing lake.He was the first I know to use it at scotts lake on mauldin road.I think his name is Skeeter.Bait falls off then the carp plays with bead like a toy rumbling in his mouth.Many people use this method these days..Some carp lakes this is the only way you will catch any carp.

· Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,761 Posts
The suck - blow way a carp feeds (like your goldfish at home) has been known about for a very long time and has been key in the development of various hook rigs for carp, a bead on the hook being one of them.
Whether using packbait or method feeder, or whatever else it may be called, the concept of a lump of bait dissolving to reveal the hook with something on it for the carp to suck in (the pick-up as Mr. Big would call it) has been around a long time.

...W

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fished for carp almost 60 years ago and there were very few that fished with the bead method that I saw then.I do not know how long it was around but you can ask Skeeter from Joes fishing lake how long has he seen it.He was at leat 10 years older than me.It was the first time we saw that method.We did not use pack bait 60 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts