Carp bait other than CORN?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Bigfish18, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I belong to a local private lake that will not let a person use corn for bait. I dont know what they have against corn but they will not allow it.

What should I use?

Thanks
    Cody

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had some luck with chunks of night crawlers and redworms. That is if you can keep the gills away from them.:confused2::big_smile:
    I've heard the fish can't digest the corn. Not sure though,just what i've heard.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Try some corn flakes, water and vanilla flavoring. Form it into small balls and be careful how you cast it. Check your bait often as this is hard to keep on the hook. I have had luck with it but it is a lot of work, at least it has been for me. I have also caught them on night crawlers but the pan fish will drive you crazy.

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Try corn flavored dough bait. There are several commercial brands that work as well. I've had most luck with corn though.
    ~A

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Something about it affecting the trout some how. Not sure I remember something about corn. Maybe someone can fill in though. Can you whip your own bait using corn meal , flour a bit of hot water, sugar and some vanilla extract. Maybe try bread sprinkled with some anise or vanilla extract.( form into a tight ball) You can try the Uncle Josh Carp bait I never caught a carp with it just catfish though.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Are you talking fresh corn or corn based bait. I use corn tortillas myself. I cut them in quarters and let them sit out till you can bend them without breaking. Then fold them in half and half again and use a carolina rig. Give it a try.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    WHEATIES!!!! just grab a hand full and dip in the water, shake off excess and mush them around they will get stiff and pasty, then we make a ball on the hook works very well!

8. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Use coke to form wheaties into balls.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Put Wheaties in bowl and crunch em up..

Sprinkle a whole pack of Strawberry cool-aid in it ...

Mix in some water...

(you can also add some cornmeal if you wish)

fish it as little balls on a treble hook... For a private lake enviroment, I would fish it with no weight and loose line it.....

10. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    a box of strawberry jello. some sugarn a bunch of flour and some water. work it with your hands till its real thick like paste add flour is it gets too thin. put it on a trebil hook and your ready to catch some carp. it stays on pretty good so if youe fishing a lake you dont really have to worry about casting it off.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I see wheaties are popular, gotta give them a try. Thanks everyone.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    EXACTLY!!! i have seen this work hundreds of times. U can use my buffalo bait, i have it in an old post but this simple recipe that was already made is great for carp, and u might catch some small cats but nothing else

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    90% of my fishing is for carp,but i use packbait i have never cought a carp on corn or anything but pack.a simple way is to get a loaf of old bread and let it dry out. get about 3 slices and put it into a blinder or food processer grind it up but not into powder just keep experimenting(sp)until it will pack.then put some in your hand and pack it around a corn puff,dont pack it to hard just enough were it will stay on for tha cast.put it in a bowl of water and see how long it tacks to break down.what packbait is,is a bait that is made up of a breker and a binder in this case the bread it self is both a breker and a binder.what u do is get a hook bait(also known as a pickup)around here a corn puff(like cereal) is most comman.these can also be flavord.you put the corn puff on the hook and then pack your "packbait" around it covering the hook and puff then give it an easy cast and.......just wait and what it does is it breaks down in tha water and creates like a feeding frenzy,then your corn puff gets pickedup(see a patern here:wink:),thus hooking ol rubber lips.
    hope this helps bud.and if you need some more bait recipes just shoot me a pm.

14. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    worms, liver, and minnow I have caught them on it.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use braum's buttermilk biscuit dough, works great on trout and carp.

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've caught carp on several different baits. Night crawlers... blood baits....carp dough....and home made dough balls.

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    chicken livers work well seriously i caught several carp out of the GMR with them night crawlers as well:big_smile:

18. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like to take stale Kix cereal, put it in a bowl and add strawberry soda. Let it set for a couple of minutes to the cereal is sticky yet still firm, not mushy. I'll fish 2-3 pieces of cereal on a small single or treble hook. Works great!

19. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    The best bait I found to use is 2 cups cottonseed meal and 1 cup flour. Add Big Red and mix up into dough balls. Stays on hook great and will disolve real slow in the water. Throw out some range cubes also for chum. The carb really love it.

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    What are range cubes and where can you buy them? Is that a feed store item?